Copy/Paste glitch with Ripple Edit

Sven

For the last two years I've enjoyed making many quick arrangement changes in a song by turning on ripple edit and copying and pasting my verse, chorus, bridge, or solo sections anywhere I wanted in the tune.  Each section (verse, chorus, etc...) was bookmarked and all the bookmarks were on the downbeat because I would always Ctrl-PgDn to that exact time before creating the bookmark.  It's worked great for me and I could quickly move stuff around to try new arrangements.  I tried Bandlab's arranger but I thought this way was easier.

To make a short story long, my latest song was working fine with this technique until two weeks ago when I started hearing glitches on the transition to the paste section.  Before it didn't matter whether I had tracks frozen or not and everything sounded great.  I moved stuff around freely.  I was so amazed it was so easy to move things around and always hear everything sound perfect on the downbeat.  It almost felt like cheating creating a song this way.

Now when I do the paste I hear a little sound glitch or slight delay or something that doesn't make the transition clean or perfect.  All the old edits from the last two months sound perfect in the same tune I'm not trying to rearrange.  It's only the new copy/pastes.  I've soloed tracks and analyzed it up the whazoo but I can't figure out why my usual tricks aren't working.  I haven't updated Cakewalk in a long time (i always wait for the dust to settle!)  so I don't think that's the problem.  I read a recent rant on this forum about ripple edit so that makes me take pause.

Is there some setting I might have mucked up that would cause this behavior?  It could be related to this one song.   I tried a version I had saved from two weeks ago and it's still screwed up.  I can try to see if I can copy/paste on older songs to see if this current song is the culprit but I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on why this might be happening.

Thanks.

So you're selecting between markers to set the length of the cut/copy? Check to see that the From and Thru values are as-expected, and when setting the target time for the paste make sure your Now time is snapping to the Measure/Beat and not to Zero-crossings or Landmarks.

Beyond that, I can only suggest zooming in on the discontinuities to see what's out of place. It should be evident.  

Edited by David Baay

Thanks David Baay for your help.  I tried the same tune with the copy/paste exercise on my newer Win 10 machine (this problem is on an older Win 7 machine) and it worked fine this morning.  Rah!

I thought that was great and did an update on the Win 7 version thinking that would fix it but alas, still the strange glitch sound after the pastes.

I'll A/B the Cakewalk settings on both machines later to see if there's something amiss there.  Again, it's been working fine for two years until a couple of week ago when it got in a bad mood for some reason.   Could be the Ukraine situation.  DAW's can be  funny that way.

Win 7 problem PC is  now using this version:

image.png.f704f2cf81b408dd13dc68b1a135b35b.png

Thanks again.  I'll let you know if I sort this out.

• 1 month later...

I now know that this problem started when I began using a new MODU audio interface instead of my PreSonus device.  I switched back to the Audiobox USB 96 and everything is fine again.  Later I have to figure out what's causing the problem when using the MODU.   Hopefully it's a setting I can configure.