"Watermark" saying "AVS media Demo"

2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

The best way to see if the watermark is there is to play the file, if you hear it (it's a voice that will be over your track every 5 seconds or so) then it's there.  If you play the file and it doesn't have the voice it's clean.  Most likely the client loaded your file, saved it (to convert to an MP3 maybe or to trim it or whatever) and didn't realize the free software they were using would add the watermark.  From Google search this seems to happen a lot.

Actually I think this the best procedure to follow.  

I wasn't aware that another person was involved. 

The source audio watermark thing linked earlier is an invisible watermark.  It adds "noise" to a sound file that doesn't cripple the file but gives you the ability to trace where it came from.  It's a different kind of watermarking (which is why it needs a tool to find it).

• Great Idea 1

I agree with the others that it sounds as if the client has used a demo version of an audio conversion program to supply different formats for distribution.

I gently suggest that this is an issue of client management.

Ask them what formats they require for distribution so that you may deliver them in those final formats. Instruct them not to do any conversion themselves, that you will be happy to supply any further formats if required. This will prevent any future such problems.

If this is not practical for whatever reasons, I recommend that you supply your files in FLAC format and that the client use MediaHuman Audio Converter to do their conversions. MediaHuman is 100% freeware and does not impose any watermarking. It is easy to use, available on Windows and Mac OSX and handles conversions to and from all popular formats.

https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

I hope this helps!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I agree with the others that it sounds as if the client has used a demo version of an audio conversion program to supply different formats for distribution.

I gently suggest that this is an issue of client management.

Ask them what formats they require for distribution so that you may deliver them in those final formats. Instruct them not to do any conversion themselves, that you will be happy to supply any further formats if required. This will prevent any future such problems.

If this is not practical for whatever reasons, I recommend that you supply your files in FLAC format and that the client use MediaHuman Audio Converter to do their conversions. MediaHuman is 100% freeware and does not impose any watermarking. It is easy to use, available on Windows and Mac OSX and handles conversions to and from all popular formats.

https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

I hope this helps!

This is the way. So Sound Forge is safe that way... Just have to make all the format of out for the one wave file.

I like to have as much control of the end product as possible, so I prefer to supply all the formats myself as close to the source material as possible.

If I let the client do this, they may take the FLAC I supply and make a low bitrate MP3 using a crappy converter, then when someone asks them for an AAC file, they may take their crappy MP3 file and use an even crappier converter to make a low bitrate M4A file and so on. And their converter program may apply its own limiting or compression or EQ or heaven knows what.

Most people don't even know the difference between a 320K MP3 and a 120K one, and if a client wants "an MP3," I make sure to supply it as a 320K using the best CODEC I have available (Sound Forge, Cakewalk or MediaHuman).  If they just say "send me the mix" I send it as a 320K M4A file, which everything will play these days.

I also take the trouble to edit the internal file tags using MP3Tag so that when they play it back, the track name and their name (or my name) as artist scrolls across very nice in their player and my name as engineer, producer, etc. is embedded in the file if I want.

This has resulted in clients and friends remarking that stuff I did for them sounded better and "how did you make my name show up on the car stereo?" 😎 And it just takes 5-10 minutes extra if that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I also take the trouble to edit the internal file tags using MP3Tag so that when they play it back, the track name and their name (or my name) as artist scrolls across very nice in their player and my name as engineer, producer, etc. is embedded in the file if I want.

This has resulted in clients and friends remarking that stuff I did for them sounded better and "how did you make my name show up on the car stereo?" 😎 And it just takes 5-10 minutes extra if that.

Yep, THIS. ^^  I always include this in my mastering fee. Doesn't take long but is much more pro and saves a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth later.

• Like 2