Increasing volume

Michael Bauer

Question

I inadvertently messed up recording a guitar track.  I set the mic up in front of my amp as usual and recorded.  What I didn't realize was that the mics from my drum mixing board were still hooked up instead and the signal I got was coming from them.  I noticed it after the recording was done and thought it sounded interesting so I kept it.  What I didn't realize was that the volume was too low.  I figured I could just start with that track at high volume, build the others up from there  then use the Master volume to compensate at the end.   That was a no go.  Is there any way to get the volume to an acceptable level without re-recording?   What I did try was adding an volume envelope, but when I added it, it was already maxed.  Next thing I tried was have it at the high volume then paste it into a new track.  That brought it up a little, but not enough.  Any ideas?  Thanks. 

8 answers to this question

It's been a long time for me since using DAWs.  Last time I used one on a steady basis was in the 2000s so this is basically new to me.  Thanks to the ones who took the time to give considerate answers.  To the other, well....  We all started at the same level.