A song from 1979. Elvis Costello, from his 3rd album ‘Armed Forces’. Inspired by the rise of the National Front and the Quisling Clinic in Wisconsin. Elvis recorded his vocal after a “night of carousing”. Original Produced by Nick Lowe. This version performed and produced by Steve Keith at Baselines Designs Studio.

https://baselines.com/?p=6466

image.png.e51e471b7341c72cf27fb13d4da51caa.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Steve

Very different and I like it. haven't listened to the original in years!

Thought the synth at 1.45 was a bit too loud and drowned out the vocals a bit.

apart from that, cool

Nigel

Thanks for commenting Nigel.  I was a huge Elvis Costello fan back then, but it's been a while since I pulled out those old albums.  I really liked Imperial Bedroom a lot at the time, but I don't know if that one has aged well.  I always enjoyed his wordplay.

Steve

huge elvis costello fan....what an interesting song to cover....your version sounds sonically better than his while remaining pretty faithful to the arrangements which were really a cool gumbo of melodies and riffs....great job on a great song 🎶🎵🎵🎶

9 hours ago, Larry T. said:

huge elvis costello fan....what an interesting song to cover....your version sounds sonically better than his while remaining pretty faithful to the arrangements which were really a cool gumbo of melodies and riffs....great job on a great song 🎶🎵🎵🎶

Thanks Larry - he sure did some great songs with very interesting melodies and lyrics.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I have to admit I'm not an Elvis Costello fan, as in I own no vinyl, cassettes or CDs.
So I had to look it up on YT.

You nailed it!

t

the only thing you lacked was that all-nighter grit in the vocal 🙃

Hi!  Thanks for listening and leaving some feedback.  Yes, I tried having a couple of shots before singing it but all it did was make me tired LOL!

Steve

• Like 2

That's a quirky song, quite Elvis, it wasn't one I'd heard before so thanks for that! I like everything about your mix with the exception of the vocals being masked a bit when that synth comes over them - you might volume automate the synth down a tad when the words are coming (you may have already done that?)  . . . I like how open and natural sounding the mix is.

and well done on the vocals as well . . .

long live the other King!

cheers,

-Tom

21 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

That's a quirky song, quite Elvis, it wasn't one I'd heard before so thanks for that! I like everything about your mix with the exception of the vocals being masked a bit when that synth comes over them - you might volume automate the synth down a tad when the words are coming (you may have already done that?)  . . . I like how open and natural sounding the mix is.

and well done on the vocals as well . . .

long live the other King!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for the feedback Tom - I know that I am not a proficient singer, so I tend to try and hide it a little if I can.  I have to do a lot of work to get them even to the point of being acceptable!

Steve