TH-U MIDI Foot Controller

I have Overloud's TH-U setup to accept MIDI inputs from my Behringer FCB1010 foot controller. This works perfectly when running TH-U as a standalone application. However, when I apply it as a VST3 effect on a track in Cakewalk, I get no MIDI input from the controller. I do have "Enable MIDI Input" enabled inside the VST, but TH-U doesn't recognize any input whatsoever from the controller. From what I can tell, everything is setup correctly. Foot controller -> Presonus Firestudio MIDI in -> Firestudio checked in Cakewalk Preferences. I've attached a couple photos for reference.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. 

1.PNG

2.PNG

• Like 1

To get MIDI data to any plug-in requires a MIDI track.

Add the track with its input set to the FireStudio, output set to the plug-in and enable input echo (the button right of record) until the data is recorded.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Vere said:

One thing you didn't mention. Setting the Input for the track the instrument is in to the correct source. 

Overloud TH-U is an ampsim not a synth.

An instrument track is not needed, just a MIDI track to route the controller data to the plug-in.

• Like 1

Thanks for the question and for the answers!! I used to use my ART X-15 foot controller extensively with hardware and have been thinking of using it again (esp. with FX) now that I have been messing around with plug-ins.  This discussion should save me from having to spend time figuring out how to do it.  I still need to find which box has "the right wall-wart."

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I still need to find which box has "the right wall-wart."

Boy do I ever know this story!   We moved 3 years ago and I'm still missing a few wall warts. I just havn't gotten around to those "catch all" tubs full of loose wires and junk from the last studio location. 

And I am now in the habit of clearly labeling both the wall wart AND the end with the plug. I blew up my beloved Korg Poly 800 when I accidentally plugged the wrong power supply into it. If they had put one simple  50 cent diode in the power supply jack it would have survived.  That was $1,000 at the time, goes Poof!   20+  years later I have it back ( sort of) with  the Fury 800. https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3134/   Analog synth at its best. 

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

I blew up my beloved Korg Poly 800 when I accidentally plugged the wrong power supply into it. If they had put one simple  50 cent diode in the power supply jack it would have survived.  That was $1,000 at the time, goes Poof!   20+  years later I have it back ( sort of) with  the Fury 800. https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3134/   Analog synth at its best. 

WRT to circuit design and short-cuts, I hear you!!! That's an awful lesson to have. 😞  Even though I haven't blown up any music gear, I triple check power supply needs (sometimes using a meter to check--just in case). 

As for the ART X-15, I still like to use a power supply consistent with the one I first used and and which worked for years even though the power requirements are the most generous I have ever seen:

If you find you must replace the power adapter, make sure the specifications meet or exceed the specifications of the original adapter. The ART X-15 was designed to work with just about any battery eliminator. The Pedal will work with eliminators that produce a minimum 100 milliamperes (ma) of Alternating Current (AC or VAC) at 6.3 to 15 volts or Direct Current (DC or VDC) at 9 volts to 24 Volts.  [emphasis added]

YUP!! ". . . just about any battery eliminator."  But I am not going to try all the ones I have just to test it!

Plus, in a pinch, I can power-up the ART SGX Nitro and use the 9 volt DC output jack, but my current interest is for controlling plug-ins and the SGX draws a bit more power than a wall-wart.

BTW, I agree that the Fury 800 comes wonderfully close to the sound of the Korg Poly and EX 800.  I used it with some patch files I had from my EX-800, but I have not yet converted some I have on tape.  If others are interested in this and other free full bucket products, here's the link. I downloaded a few others I never had as hardware, and have confidence in them as plug-ins although I cannot compare them to the hardware originals.   

Edited by User 905133
to add "most" before generous

Yes I remember the tape data system. My Roland 505 has it too and we used to load 5 more sequences on set breaks and pray it worked. 
We are most certainly spoiled now with almost every synth available and mostly for free. 
The Poly 800 was my bass player back then. When I fried it I replaced it with the Roland MT-32 which set me back $1,500. But I then needed a controller so I also bought a Roland P-200. I must have also purchased my 1st Atari ST that same year. It was literally thousands of bucks back then to play the one man band game.