Obsidian Blues (ambient pop music)

Larry T.

greetings....latest creation called Obsidian Blues (ambient pop music)....all observations, critiques, suggestions and questions welcome....let's go!!!!

https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/obsidian-blues-ambient-pop-music

gettyimages-122319523-612x612.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitar, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 4 lite, CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Special Thanks to Mike at #creativesauce on You Tube whose incredible videos on how to use CbB made this possible

Edited by Larry T.
clarity

1 hour ago, jack c. said:

do ya have a bass amp simulation on bass?beautiful.jack c.

Thanks jack....the bass was played live using three different tracks, one for each section....i ran it through my Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface with no effects other than very carefully set DAW EQing for each section....the bass is a 2004 or so Yamaha RBX170, for a cheap bass it's surprising robust....the bass knobs settings i used give a Rickenbacker-type sound here's a pic of it:

Bass RBX170 Yamaha.jpg

Edited by Larry T.
clarity

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

This is fantastic, interesting rhythms, harmonies.  Love the vibrato on the guitar.

Thanks David....this is the most recent song i've written, finished it a few weeks ago....the vibrato is just me on the guitar fretboard, was recorded using around 18 different tracks for each guitar section to get maximum ability to craft the tones and stuff, played through a Focusrite Scarlett Solo with no effects other than careful EQing.... after playing for around 54 years i think i've finally got the vibrato down!!!! lol!!!! 🎶🎸🎻🎷

Edited by Larry T.
improvement.

6 hours ago, jack c. said:

but did ya use amp sim?jack c.

nope, direct injection from Yamaha bass to audio interface to CbB DAW audio track.... didn't use any amp sim at all....only bass guitar processing i did was careful manipulation of CbB Pro Channel EQ module 🎶🎼🎧🔊

Edited by Larry T.

Nice work Larry.  The first time I heard Obsidian was when I was 11 and my friend from across the street had a dad who polished rocks and showed us his setup one day.  It was also the first time I heard the word soused, as he drank beer all weekend and his wife said he was downstairs getting soused.  LOL - I don't think she liked that idea very much.  The song is nice and tight with the timing and the buildup is good as well.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 12:15 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

Nice work Larry.  The first time I heard Obsidian was when I was 11 and my friend from across the street had a dad who polished rocks and showed us his setup one day.  It was also the first time I heard the word soused, as he drank beer all weekend and his wife said he was downstairs getting soused.  LOL - I don't think she liked that idea very much.  The song is nice and tight with the timing and the buildup is good as well.

Thanks Steve....that is a cool story....I was trying to figure out what to call this song....I knew it was gonna be ______ Blues....think I was watching TV and heard obsidian and the light in my head went on ....the timing is courtesy of the metronome as it gave me the freedom to concentrate completely on what I was playing....cheers!!!! 🎸🥁🎺🔊

Larry I think what Jack is suggesting is running your bass track thru an amplifier sim.
As to the bass, and I've mentioned this before, I think some of the bass lines are a bit too "busy" on this one.
In the opening section you're following the keys, and for me, its a bit distracting.
(its your tune, so your production; just my nickel98 - take it with a grain of salt)

That being said this "ambient pop" continues to grow on me...

t

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Larry I think what Jack is suggesting is running your bass track thru an amplifier sim.
As to the bass, and I've mentioned this before, I think some of the bass lines are a bit too "busy" on this one.
In the opening section you're following the keys, and for me, its a bit distracting.
(its your tune, so your production; just my nickel98 - take it with a grain of salt)

That being said this "ambient pop" continues to grow on me...

t

Thanks tom....i will have to play around with this song more....your observations are helpful and accurate 🎵📯🎸🔊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Very nice Larry.  I think the guitar could benefit with (more?) reverb and maybe a touch of delay.
-Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn....lately i've been adhering to the Steely Dan ethic of keeping everything dry (i don't think there's a bit of reverb on any of their songs....i could be wrong) but i did realize the lead guitar parts in certain sections do sound a bit thin and i couldn't get the EQ to give me any more help with them....i've used the reverb and delay a lot in the past so i decided to let them stay dry but i will go back and see about doing some reworks on this tune....cheers!!!! 🎶🎵🎶🎵

• 2 weeks later...