How to Export an SI Instrument Generated Track to MIDI?

Lou Black

I'm relatively new to Cakewalk, trying to figure it out as I go.  I have started to make use of the SI Instruments and it has been fun, and when I play my MIDI guitar I can have all of these SI Instruments accompany me at the same time.  Big fan so far and can get lost with all of the choices/options in sampled instrument sounds. The playback and audio recording is simple enough, and I make sure that the SI Instruments will have both an audio and midi track generated BUT.....

ISSUES/QUESTIONS:

1. The problem is that MIDI files that are automatically simply identical copies of my midi guitar track, without any of the velocity info that I perceive the software is picking up on the audio track.  Are there settings that I need to engage in order to capture the note velocities?
  2. In general, how can I get a SI Drum loop track to I export to MIDI? 

If you're hearing a velocity response from SI, then variable velocity is being generated by the guitar controller, and CbB will record it as a parameter of each Note On MIDI message. As John noted, though velocity is not technically a 'Controller',  CbB displays velocities in the Controllers pane of the PRV. You can also see numeric velocity values in the Event List view.

The easy way to get a single MIDI track out of CbB is simply to drag or copy-paste a clip to a destination folder or application in Windows. Since velocity is embedded in the Note On message it will always be automatically included in a MIDI file, but the effect may not be as clear in another context  if the instrument playing back that MIDI file does not have the same response to velocity which is a characteristic of the instrument's programming.

I have not used SI drums, but most drum synths have a facility for dragging patterns from the UI to the clips pane in the track view to bring the MIDI into the project.

EDIT: Just did a quick check, and patterns can be dragged and dropped from the SI pattern selector directly to the tracks pane where they can be copied, pasted, groove-clipped, re-arranged and edited in the PRV giving you more flexibility/variation in your arrangement.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2