MODO BASS 2

Heath Row

7 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

Peter has to be the most patient software rep on the internet.  We all love sales but they have been slamming this man every time they don't get something practically free.  I will be passing up modo 2 for now because i honestly am still learning modo one and feel like i am so overloaded with vsts that i will never master them all.  Modo 2 is tempting because it does offer things I wished 1 had. The upgrade price is not outrageous. I have paid ik upgrade prices full before and did not feel ripped off.  In any case, Peter is not the guy setting the prices. As a former business owner, it is never wise to cater to customers who ONLY buy things at super super deep discounts. This thread proves those types will only expect that perpetually. Each company needs to clone Bapu.

I appreciate your kind words and general patience when I occasionally get sensitive to some of the reactions, even if I know deep down nothing in those reactions is personal toward me.  And I do believe that someone is working on cloning Bapu, and I think Bapu means "balance" in the language of AtleastthatswhatIhopeitmeansian

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I assume that's an in-house e-mail. Any idea when the contents will be shared with customers? (PS: Sorry to hear your head got "sliced off.")

There was an email to customers that went out with a countdown, the 2,000 participant goal for extension, etc.  It was not in-house.  I believe the non-US version went out a bit late so those outside the States might have received it after my message was posted.

5 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

@Peter - IK Multimedia is the main man! Keeping it cool!!!

Thanks!  Right back at ya.

5 hours ago, Fleer said:

I believe he’s a psychologist studying our very existence,  as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

I wish.  My father has two psychology degrees (including one in corporate psychology) so I'm not going to go down that path since I feel analyzed enough sometimes :)  He did some interesting work with regard to his time at "Ma Bell" (basically AT&T before it was split up, but that's a bit of a gloss-over of it) specifically having to do with Bell Labs and some of the amazing work of some amazing people and all that goes with that.  So he could write the real report!

4 hours ago, Grem said:

I wanna read that report!!!

Even I don't want to read it. :P

4 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

You are a brave man!!!

In context of you replying to the above, I absolutely agree.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I know the only thing you want to hear is that it is out but I promise we're very close.  In the mean time, check out the patterns section video which I believe answers some questions I've been seeing around:

Surely it will come out soon, because we have to re-bill the $ 149 updates that very sadly v1.5 users must pay, a very good commercial move for IKM although not so much for the client, because the ethically correct thing would have been to have free update plus a custon Shop in order to safeguard the good criticism of v 1.5 users and everyone will pay the expansions at ease.

47 minutes ago, JT music said:

Surely it will come out soon, because we have to re-bill the $ 149 updates that very sadly v1.5 users must pay, a very good commercial move for IKM although not so much for the client, because the ethically correct thing would have been to have free update plus a custon Shop in order to safeguard the good criticism of v 1.5 users and everyone will pay the expansions at ease.

This again.  Do I need to answer about how nobody is "re-billed" at all for this (or for MODO DRUM 1.5) or have my multiple replies to the same incorrect information been seen widely enough to save everybody some time?

The special upgrade price is less than $19 per bass (and that doesn't even factor in the 1,500 patterns - pennies for those!) which follows the same principle as MODO DRUM 1.5 which gives you three drum kits for less than almost all other known players in the market charge for one single kit.  And with MODO BASS 2 every bass is actually two basses as they can go fretless if fretted and vice versa.  Along with the updates to the algorithms, and more.  So I'm pretty sure "paying twice" or "re-billing" doesn't apply to completely new and vastly upgraded models/features/sound.

I guess I did explain it yet again.  I hope that helps some folks either way, at least.

2 hours ago, Grem said:

That looks real nice. A welcomed addition. 

Thanks, I think so too.  The drag and drop (and importing back into MODO BASS 2) was important to me as I don't think I'd use any pattern exactly as written especially for any part that repeats since there are always going to be variations.  Now if Ralph could do the bass equivalent of Jamstix (which also supports MODO DRUM by the way for those that didn't know) it would be amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JT music said:

Will you drop it already? Nobody around here cares about you little rants. You have said your piece; got your message out; now move on.

15 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

You have said your piece

He/She needs to play the piece ;)   See how easy that was to solve :D

I got my coat..................................................................................................................................................again!

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, Doug Rintoul said:

Will you drop it already? Nobody around here cares about you little rants. You have said your piece; got your message out; now move on.

At first I thought that was for me/IK and I was like "I know, I know!  MODO BASS 2 will drop soon, I promise!".  Glad I was wrong, but gives me another opportunity to thank you for your patience (even if you didn't really have any, trust me I know the feeling and would not throw stones).

And @InstrEd, make sure you tuck that free MIDI controller under your coat if it is raining! :D

35 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

At first I thought that was for me/IK and I was like "I know, I know!  MODO BASS 2 will drop soon, I promise!".  Glad I was wrong, but gives me another opportunity to thank you for your patience (even if you didn't really have any, trust me I know the feeling and would not throw stones).

And @InstrEd, make sure you tuck that free MIDI controller under your coat if it is raining! :D

JT Music seems to be very bitter that he bought Modo Drums at a discount and then didn't get a free upgrade to the next version when it came out soon after. That has been his song since then whenever he talks about IKM. I think what he was actually saying in this rant was that when Modo Bass 2.0 comes out, users will have to pay $149 again for the upgrade. I think what he wants to see is a free upgrade to the 2.0 engine and then have a custom shop to be able to purchase the additional instruments added to 2.0.

• Great Idea 1

41 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

JT Music seems to be very bitter that he bought Modo Drums at a discount and then didn't get a free upgrade to the next version when it came out soon after. That has been his song since then whenever he talks about IKM. I think what he was actually saying in this rant was that when Modo Bass 2.0 comes out, users will have to pay $149 again for the upgrade. I think what he wants to see is a free upgrade to the 2.0 engine and then have a custom shop to be able to purchase the additional instruments added to 2.0.

That has been stated from the beginning, there will be MODO BASS 2 CS.  So they're either not reading, that's not what they really want (I think someone expects both upgrades for free), or something else.  Purchasing the new basses individually will definitely be more costly than the special upgrade price.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

That has been stated from the beginning, there will be MODO BASS 2 CS.  So they're either not reading, that's not what they really want (I think someone expects both upgrades for free), or something else.  Purchasing the new basses individually will definitely be more costly than the special upgrade price.

This seems to be related to what I was getting at before--when there is a software update to an existing product (e.g., 1.2 to 1.5 for a product without a number) and at the same time a product upgrade (e.g., a product with an implied 1 to a new product numbered 1.5 or 2) it invites customer confusion (possibly leading to dissatisfaction or resentment).   

4 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I think what [JT] was actually saying . . . was that when Modo Bass 2.0 comes out, users will have to pay $149 again for the upgrade. I think what he wants to see is a free upgrade to the 2.0 engine and then have a custom shop to be able to purchase the additional instruments added to 2.0.

Not sure if this is what JT was thinking or if JT had in mind a model like some other companies do--you buy a product for life and when it gets updated/upgraded with new/improved features, you get those.

In either case, I think the simultaneous rollout of a software update with a product update contributes to customer confusion (and sometimes ill-will). 

4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

That [what Doug wrote] has been stated from the beginning, there will be MODO BASS 2 CS.  

Let me see if I understand.  (I think I do, but sometimes I have found my understandings at odds with what others meant, only to be discovered after-the-fact.)  If I have MODO BASS with 14 bass models and I get the free MODO BASS 2 CS, will I have the same 14 bass models that work In MODO BASS 2 but with the new MODO BASS 2 enhancements, patterns, etc.?

If so, my choices to get the 8 new bass models seem to be (1) to buy MODO BASS 2 SE (currently $150), or (2) to get the current upgrade to MODO BASS 2 (for $150), or (3) to take the cross-grade deal (currently $200) , or (4) to get the special cross-grade/up-grade DRUM/BASS Bundle (currently starting at $200) , or (5) to purchase individual bass models (currently for $80 each).   Obviously, there's also (6) to use the 14 original MODO BASS basses (currently version 1.5.2) with either of my current licenses.

Do I have that right?  If so, please don't confuse me by adding a new software version (2.0.0) to my current 14-bass version of MODO BASS.  If you have to update the software (such as to support purchase of the 8 new basses individually), please make it 1.5.3.  If it's called MODO BASS 2.0.0, I won't understand why I don't get the 8 new basses--too much confusion between MODO BASS with version 2.0.0 and MODO BASS 2.

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Let me see if I understand.  (I think I do, but sometimes I have found my understandings at odds with what others meant, only to be discovered after-the-fact.)  If I have MODO BASS with 14 bass models and I get the free MODO BASS 2 CS, will I have the same 14 bass models that work In MODO BASS 2 but with the new MODO BASS 2 enhancements, patterns, etc.?

The comparison chart for Modo Bass 2 state that CS has no fretless capability and a reduced number of patterns. Presumably if you bought at least SE, you could use the fretless capability with any standard bass including the original 14 bass models. But considering Syntronik 2 and the wave sets feature, that may not be the case. 

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Obviously, there's also ( [option] 6) to use the 14 original MODO BASS basses (currently version 1.5.2) with either of my current licenses.

along with (7):

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Or just wait for the next Total Studio crossgrade, which should include everything released to that date... :)

So, thanks for the clarifications, Doug. I'll go with (6) + (7).

• Great Idea 2