Can 32-bit VST2 effects plugins running in 64-bit CbB receive MIDI input?

John Speth

I have a situation in which I'd like to have an effect plugin receive MIDI input and I can't figure out how to make it happen. After some experimentation with various plugins, I've observed it's not possible enable MIDI inputs for 32-bit plugins running on 64-bit CbB because the "VST2" menu button at the top of the plugin GUI is missing. The VST2 menu will offer a working Enable MIDI Input control (that is, if the plugin supports it). Can anyone confirm that my observation is correct (no Enable MIDI Input for a 32-bit plugins running on 64-bit CbB)? Is there some other way to send MIDI input to my 32-bit effect plugin?

Here's my configuration in detail: I'm running 64-bit CbB. I have loaded and enabled the 32-bit SpinnerLE leslie simulator VST2 plugin (green text in the menu) on a soft synth track with the VL122 32-bit Hammond B3 plugin. The SpinnerLE plugin is supposed to use mod wheel MIDI input to control the leslie speaker rotation speed. The instrument (VL122) takes MIDI input correctly. The effect (SpinnerLE) does not receive any MIDI input. I have this chain (VL122 and SpinnerLE) configured in the 32-bit VSTHost program and MIDI is received by the SpinnerLE plugin so I know it can work.

Thanks - JJS

Edited by John Speth

3 hours ago, Patrick Wichrowski said:

Hold ALT key when opening plugin in synth rack and the VST2 menu will show behind the main plugin's window ;)

Thanks. That's a neat trick I'll have to remember for a variety of reasons. That's the good news.

Pressing the Alt key while opening the plugin GUI seems to cause a concealed BitBridge window hidden behind the GUI window. The BitBridge must be some sort of 32/64 compatibility interface. After moving the GUI window aside, the BitBridge window shows the missing VST2 menu containing Enable MIDI Input control. Unfortunately, MIDI input is still not passed to the plugin with MIDI input enabled. That's the bad news.

Yes, Windows does not allow 64bit programs to load 32bit dlls.

BitBridge is a server launched by the DAW to host 32bit plug-ins and handle the communication between the plug-ins and the DAW.

After enabling MIDI input in the plug-in standard header, did you add a MIDI track with the plug-in as its output?

Plug-ins in an synth or instrument track FX rack do not receive MIDI data from the track driving the synth.

When using the same incoming MIDI data stream for the synth and the FX plug-in, use the MFX Event Filter in the MIDI FX rack to block mod wheel data going to the synth instrument or MIDI track by enabling the Controllers filter and dragging the bottom arrow up in the CC# column to 2, like this

OkWnqFO.png

When using instrument tracks, the track inspector MIDI tab (T) provides access to the MIDI FX rack (B)

Inspectors.3.4.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scook said:

After enabling MIDI input in the plug-in standard header, did you add a MIDI track with the plug-in as its output?

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I hadn't tried your new MIDI track idea before. I can follow your setup procedure successfully but it still didn't send mod wheel output to the SpinnerLE effect. But a lot of experimentation based on your suggestions finally got me to a solution. Here's a screen shot of the configuration that worked for me:

image.png.5f96b9446f969644474b347dfda2023b.png

The important points of this screen shot are these:

• Two tracks are used, my VL122 instrument/effect combo track and the required MIDI track (Track 2) that exists solely to send MIDI to the SpinnerLE.
  • Track 2 output must be the SpinnerLE.
  • Both tracks are set to the same MIDI input.
  • Both tracks are set to Input Echo = On.
  • Do not use the MIDI Event Filter plugin as you've shown it. In fact, using it will filter out mod wheel events thereby defeating the implementation intent. This specific instrument/effect combination has a de-facto filter. The SpinnerLE only responds to mod wheel MIDI. The VL122 does not respond to mod wheel MIDI. So both can tolerate unfiltered MIDI.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion. We have solved my problem.

JJS

Edited by John Speth

Glad you figured it out.

42 minutes ago, John Speth said:

Both tracks are set to Input Echo = On.

Input echo must always be enabled when monitoring the input data stream.

42 minutes ago, John Speth said:

Do not use the MIDI Event Filter plugin as you've shown it. In fact, using it will filter out mod wheel events thereby defeating the implementation intent. This specific instrument/effect combination has a de-facto filter. The SpinnerLE only responds to mod wheel input so it can tolerate unfiltered MIDI.

The intent of the MFX Event Filter is to block mod wheel data going to the synth NOT the FX plug-in. The plug-in is placed in the MIDI FX bin going to the organ NOT the Leslie. It may not be necessary. I have seen others use a similar arrangement of an organ synth plug-in and Leslie sim FX plug-in where both were responding to the mod wheel. Whether this is desirable is up to the user.