New Gibson Guitar

57Gregy

I'm actually digging the Explorer style head stock . hidebehindsofa.gif

As far as the guitar goes in a way it may look a little strange at first but the thing is I bet it was a model they were considering putting out back then . It may have lost out to other Models they decided to manufacture instead .

The meat and potatoes of the Theodore  can be found in both the Gibson Les Paul Special and The Gibson Les Paul Special  Double cutaway. 

1959GibsonLesPaulSpecial-1.jpg

d3c64aa3988762e47bac93aae0981192.jpg

All 3 Models of guitar including the Theodore share many things in common . A mahogany Body ,a  rosewood fingerboard ,  2 P 90 pick ups , a Wraparound tailpiece that also serves as the guitars bridge , a 3 way toggle switch , independent volume and tone controls for each pick up,  and a  24 . 75 scale length .

So if we eliminate the funny looking cutaways , the explorer style head stock and the skunk stripe on the The Theodore's guitar body .And if we did a blind test sound only between the 3 Gibson Guitar Models I have mentioned . I would be willing to bet very few people would be able to tell  which guitar was which based on what they sound like ....

BTW , I do most of my guitar practice on  an Epiphone version of the Les Paul Special w 2 P 90's . I simply love playing that guitar and I hope the day comes when I can trade up to the Gibson ...

After all is said and done ...gulp ...I still kinda like that Explorer head stock     

Kenny   💪:P👍

Edited by kennywtelejazz

6 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Yeah, it's not too attractive.

Hey Buddy ! don't be talking about my future ex guitar in that tone . Will Smith ain't the only one around here that can do an authentic Batman Slap 😆

6 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I found it interesting that they would introduce such an old design so long after it was created.

Sort of like the Moderne story Paul Young linked above, but waaaayyyy later.

Guitars can certainly  fall into the artistic movement or the ideal realm of romanticism .

How many times has a musician written a song only to temporarily abandon it and then rediscover it at a much later time when they feel they can possibility do it justice .

In that respect a guitar , a song or any well executed creative Idea can be timeless . .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

That is sort of an odd introduction, and they spend more time talking about McCarty.

What is ironic is that when PRS started out and was pouring over patents, two names always showed up... Leo Fender and Ted McCarty. After some coaxing, PRS reached out to Ted (he was blind by that time), and Ted became his mentor of sorts. Constrained by the patents from Gibson and Fender, McCarty chose hybrid specs in many instances to not only get the ideal specs, but also pick the best features of each company. The PRS McCarty 594 is dedicated to Ted and embodies a culmination of his life's experience in learning the art. Not many realize McCarty's influence in PRS, which ended up being pretty extensive.

• Like 1