Head in a Basket - Constructive mix feedback welcome!

Myriad Rocker

Here's another one I'm working on.

Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks all!

EDIT 7/1 - Added the vocals into my latest mix.  Did some more automation and such as well.  As always, really appreciate the feedback you all give.  It's pushing me to learn more and more.

This is an older one from some previous feedback to show the comparison to the new mix.

And here's the latest mix (called the V3) I've got.  The goal here is to get more clarity, punch, and definition.  But I want to maintain the good aspects of the one above, of course.  Can you guys let me know how I'm doing?  There is probably be a volume difference.  I didn't level match them.

Edited by Myriad Rocker

Hey,

This is a really cool modern metal rocker with dynamite playing and excellent vocals!😀

To me, the mix sounds pretty close for the genre, but I think you might be right about possibly backing off the compressor a bit to give it a little more breathing room and dynamics, and then adding a touch of low end punch to fill it out some.

Great song and band, killer job on all the performances, nicely done!👍

Have a good one!
Bob

• Thanks 1

As Bob notes the bottom end punch is missing, I can hear the kick and the bass but there is none of the punch I would expect from this genre.  otherwise the mix does not sound bad here on the Adam's. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, this rocks the roof off my house.  It may be lacking a little low end, but not much.  It wouldn't be hard to dial the low end in this song once you decide how much you want.  The only thing you may need is a multi-band compressor to punch up the lows.  Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Thanks for the compliments guys, I really appreciate it.  Sounds like my suspicions are confirmed on the low end.  I'm gonna take a day or two off from the song and then go back with fresh ears and your advice.  I'll check out the multi-band, Lynn.  I haven't used those much so it may take some playing around.

Thanks again!

• Like 3

Killer song man!! Was that you? Your band? If not pass, on to them Rock on MoFo's!!

If your just mixing, you have done an excellent job with guitars and vocals. Clear and driving crunch. I don't think the compression is too much. Just right I'd say.

But the low end as you and others have said is lacking. I would like to hear the next version to see if you can keep the driving crunch of the guitars and up the low end.

Good luck. Keep us up to date!! I am on my third listen!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Killer song man!! Was that you? Your band? If not pass, on to them Rock on MoFo's!!

If your just mixing, you have done an excellent job with guitars and vocals. Clear and driving crunch. I don't think the compression is too much. Just right I'd say.

But the low end as you and others have said is lacking. I would like to hear the next version to see if you can keep the driving crunch of the guitars and up the low end.

Good luck. Keep us up to date!! I am on my third listen!

Thanks so much for the compliments.  🙏   Yes, it is my band.  I'm gonna work on the mix a bit more today or tomorrow and try to get more punch out of the lows.  I'll update the mix if I think I made progress.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, amiller said:

First, awesome song.  You nailed the genre.  If I were mixing for this style of music I’d bring those kicking guitars up a bit and give them just a tad more cut.  

Completely forgot to use the multi-quote on this but meant to in my reply.  I was gonna ask you which guitar part or is it just as a whole?

On 6/7/2019 at 3:23 AM, Bob Oister said:

On 6/7/2019 at 6:49 AM, Wookiee said:

On 6/7/2019 at 10:52 AM, Lynn said:

8 hours ago, Grem said:

2 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Hey guys, posted a new mix in the original post.  Let me know if this is better or too much.

This whole quoting posts thing isn't my bag.  lol!  I wanted to let you guys know I posted a new mix with a notification but I didn't want to quote all your text.  This is the only way I figured it'd work.  My bad if it's annoying.

Edited by Myriad Rocker

Posted a new master of the same mix.  Might be a touch too loud.

In order on original post:

• Mix that seemed to lack a bit of low end punch.  Mastered with Ozone but didn't spend too much time working on it.
  • Mix with work done to low end to get more oompf.  Brought kick up and tried a bit of multi-band compression on the mix.
  • Same mix as the one above (second in this list) but just more attention given to the mastering.
Edited by Myriad Rocker

Ok, here ya go:

Mix 1 is the most dynamic out of the three. I could listen to it over and over and not get tired of it. It does however lack the low end that I am use to hearing out of this genre.

Mix 2 is better as far as the lowend goes. But not the lowest end. MAy need a little more.

Mix 3 is too loud. But it has the best sound out of them all. That maybe the winner! Will give a better listen when I get home on my studio speakers.

• Thanks 1

I listened to all 3 mixes. I would feed that 3rd mix to the birds, its toast. im hearing heavy digital overload and drop out @ 1:31.

This is a great song man. A wee bit heavy for my liking (genre wise) but wow this song kicks serious *****.  everything just blends in well. Especially from a skill standpoint (vocals, drums, guitars) are nice and tight.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

heavy digital overload and drop out @ 1:31.

I heard this too and it was in each mix. So I assumed it was that digital scratch stuff that is added in for fx. But I could be wrong!! I meant to ask about it.

And to further add to my comments to my last post above, The first mix does lack some low end punch. However, it is the most dynamic sounding of the three. IWO, there is less compression and it plays more pleasing (if that description helps at all!! LOL)

I am fixing to listen again on my headphones.

Myriad, to be totally honest here, if I was your manager or someone in the band with some pull/influence, I'd be telling ya'll to seek some professional mix/mastering services for this. I believe that song is that good. I wanted to send this to you in a PM but you don't have that option available.

• Like 1

OK. I want to revise my opinion!! : )

Mix 1: It does have low end punch when I listened on my Bose headphones. If fact, I would say that's the best 'overall mix' of the three. If this one was mastered better it may be the one.

Mix 2: Not a bad mix, but I can hear that there's more compression on this mix  (or in the mastering stage?). But if you could get the compression backed off a but, this one might be a winner too. I liked the lower level stuff I can hear in this mix that wasn't as obvious as the last mix. In this mix, the part that Chuck was saying was digital clipping I am clearly hearing it is intended fx. In fact, if you gonna put it in, make it stand out more. And there is a little part right after that (sounds like a record scratch?) that's in time with the beats and that sounds good, but it's not as obvious in the first mix.

Mix 3: This really wasn't as bad a mix as I thought. But I did drop the volume down a couple of notches in the beginning, towards the middle too. That tells me the EQ ain't right. Which is a mastering thing.

I would say that your first mix may be the best shot to give to someone to master.  Also what I noticed yesterday and today (on two different listening eviroments) I can't make out what the bass player is doing. And I listened for it too. He must be following the guitars lick for lick. But I still should be able to hear the bass.

Can I ask if you remixed these three trks? Or did you just give different masters?