[Solved] Problem when exporting with Arturia reverb Plate-140

I don't know if this is new to this version, but I came across a major problem with Arturia's Rev PLATE-140 and Cakewalk when exporting. When I export a project that uses Arturia's plate reverb, the volume of the plate is reduced extensively by the export. Not only is the reverb barely audible in my exported mix, but that volume drop is also kept afterwards when I play the mix back in Cakewalk! I need to close and reopen my project to get the volume of the reverb back to normal. Other than using another reverb, I haven't found a workaround this. This problem happens at the start of the export. If I start the export, cancel it and start playback, the volume drop is already there in playback.

24 minutes ago, scook said:

Could note replicate using CbB 2020.02 build 39 with a simple one-track project using plug-in in the FX rack or in a bus. 

After reading your comment I tried a few things:

1. I created a brand new project like you, with a single track and a bus to hold the Arturia reverb. I got the same result as you: no problem exporting and no change in the reverb volume after exporting either.
  2. I made a copy of my original project and removing all tracks except one, all busses except for the reverb one and removing all other plugins. I got the same result as you: no volume drop on the reverb when exporting.
  3. I made a new copy and this time removed all plugins except for the reverb. I figured that to provide the devs with a project showing the problem this would be the best way. I got the same result as you: no volume change.
  4. I started removing plugins piece by piece but I haven't found yet the combination of plugins that produces the problem. It seems that removing a certain number of plugins removes the problem, more than which ones.

Conclusion for now: it seems a fair amount of plugins in the project are needed to reproduce the problem. But I can tell you it is really happening in some configuration of tracks+plugins. I can make available a video showing the problem and I can make my project available. But chances are I may have plugins you don't.

I've had crash and export issues a couple of times with the Plate-140. Majority of the time it's fine. I love the sound. I use the crap out of it.

Removing it and reinstalling seemed to fix the issues and I could go off on my merry way. I just updated to the latest version and I'll watch for any issues and report back.

• Thanks 1

It looks like it could be a very heavy user so freezing might be the answer.  This same issue can happen with those Convoluted type reverbs like Silver by Acoustica. I can't use it even in a simple project everything grinds to a halt. Possibly bumping up your Buffers?? 

1. Is the plugin on a track or a bus? If the latter, is it a separate bus just for reverb? If the former, is it a mono or stereo track? I have seen odd behavior with some stereo plugins when placed on a mono-interleave track, including reduced volume.

2. Are there any other plugins in the track/bus fx bin that the reverb is on? I have seen weird interactions between plugins, where a specific ordering causes the signal to be lost.

3. Is there any automation on the track/bus? Volume automation, obviously, but pan automation can also cause unexpected drops in volume.

4. You're running the paid version, but I've seen cases where a plugin reverts to demo mode on its own. What are the demo restrictions, e.g. does it drop out at intervals?

Maybe a screenshot of your minimal project that shows the problem might help, just to see how everything's routed.

This might seem like a left-field longshot, but what happens if you substitute a different reverb in your original project?

4 hours ago, scook said:

I have no doubt the symptoms in the OP are real.

The issue is isolating a repeatable set of steps to reproduce the problem.

Failing that, for now, does freezing some tracks before export solve the issue?

I froze all tracks and the issue is still there. I really thought that would help though.

3 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

I've had crash and export issues a couple of times with the Plate-140. Majority of the time it's fine. I love the sound. I use the crap out of it.

Removing it and reinstalling seemed to fix the issues and I could go off on my merry way. I just updated to the latest version and I'll watch for any issues and report back.

Uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck unfortunately. I wonder if Arturia has older versions available, I'll check that.

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

1. Is the plugin on a track or a bus? If the latter, is it a separate bus just for reverb? If the former, is it a mono or stereo track? I have seen odd behavior with some stereo plugins when placed on a mono-interleave track, including reduced volume.

2. Are there any other plugins in the track/bus fx bin that the reverb is on? I have seen weird interactions between plugins, where a specific ordering causes the signal to be lost.

3. Is there any automation on the track/bus? Volume automation, obviously, but pan automation can also cause unexpected drops in volume.

4. You're running the paid version, but I've seen cases where a plugin reverts to demo mode on its own. What are the demo restrictions, e.g. does it drop out at intervals?

Maybe a screenshot of your minimal project that shows the problem might help, just to see how everything's routed.

This might seem like a left-field longshot, but what happens if you substitute a different reverb in your original project?

Thanks for chiming in with ideas. My responses:

1. Its on a separate bus just for the reverb and the bus is stereo
  2. There are no other plugins, not even pro channel ones, on this bus.
  3. There is no automation on the reverb bus, but there is automation elsewhere in the project.
  4. I don't think it has reverted back to demo mode. At least I don't get the nag screen and dropouts every few minutes.

I tested using another reverb and the problem is not happening. If all else fails this would be my fallback plan. But it is a shame not to be able to use Arturia's superb plate...

Here is a screenshot of the project. This is after freezing all the tracks.

image.thumb.png.6cfa771733c54b71f77332e6b1176108.png

9 minutes ago, scook said:

Have you tried both VST2 and VST3 formats?

No only VST3 for now. But, I was on the Arturia's site and they keep archives of older versions. I installed the oldest version they had and the problem is gone. So it seems that this bug was introduced at a later version. I am currently trying a few versions to try and locate at which version this occurred.

I will try VST2 of the current version when I am done with testing the older versions. Thanks for the tip!

I will also inform Arturia's support of this problem.

Ok, the problem was introduced in the latest version of Arturia's Rev Plate-140. Version 1.3.1.2694 does not exhibit the problem, but the latest version, 1.4.0.2910, does.

VST2 and VST3 both exhibit the bug I mention.

I will send this info through Arturia's support. If I get and answer I'll post it here.

For now the workaround is to use version 1.3.1.2694 until this is resolved. You can find the installer on this page. Under Rev PLATE-140, click 'Show Archives' and download 1.3.1.2694 for Windows.

If you are using the latest version keep an eye ear out to your export. If your project has some complexity, you may loose reverb volume on export.

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Thanks 1

• Jacques Boileau changed the title to [Solved] Problem when exporting with Arturia reverb Plate-140

Glad you got it sorted.

It's annoying when you have to substitute another plugin, but at least it's just reverb. Yeh, some folks like to wax poetic about their favorite reverb, but in reality there are always a dozen alternatives that'll do just as well with a little tweaking.

• Like 1

FYI, I emailed  support as well decribing your issue,  so now they will think 2 people have the same problem with Cakewalk:) 

I have a bunch of their stuff and that one I tried the demo. $100 is beond my budget for a reverb. It is very different that's for sure. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1