Fyler Media File Manager

cclarry

MusicDevelopments has released Fyler media file manager application (standalone) for Windows.

Fyler can display MIDI files, audio waveforms and image thumbnails with zooming, it allows one-click playback of MIDI and audio files. Any MIDI tracks can be dragged directly to the DAW.

All metadata are extracted from audio, MIDI, video and image files.

The intro is $29 (reg. $39) until April 4th.

https://www.musicdevelopments.com/fyler.html

277160667_10225556119203190_749675014810

• Like 1

It begs the question why I need a "media file manager" when I already have a file manager that can probably do all the same things except display and playback MIDI. Inventing problems and needs and providing overspecialized solutions to what used to be non-problems seems to be symptomatic of capitalism.

Solutions that work toward unifying the existing systems by leveraging what is already there while keeping introduction of new concepts (functions, interfaces, presentation) to a minimum, are far more compelling to me. If you do have such a brilliant idea that you want the user to adopt a new way of working with the-same-old, it should apply in a broader scope - e.g. instead of a media file manager, go all the way and design a superior generic solution for file managing.

• Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, husker said:

An easy way of previewing Midi files would be welcome.

By "previewing" do you mean viewing the MIDI data, or hearing it?

I'm not sure how viewing the MIDI data would be useful unless you're working with the data, like when you're composing in a DAW. Perhaps the visual cues could help in finding points of interest faster than by blindly clicking the playhead around.

Listening to MIDI used to be easy when Windows Media Player just did it. Last I checked it seemed that you had to separately install a third-party application and/or the GM soundbank. I'd be interested in minimalistic solutions to this problem that I didn't have in Vista or XP.

As seen from the comments above, this is not for everyone.  I actually love it - great concept, good execution.  Clearly, one has had the ability to preview midi files on a computer since when - 1987?  This implementation, however, is so much more than that.  This is a great companion to a sample manager, and also includes other utilities.

Sarine is right - this product is symptomatic of capitalism - innovation is encouraged, and products and companies rise or fall on their quality.  (I love capitalism.  :) )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I downloaded and tried the Fyler demo.  I was not impressed as it was just way too basic.  

For a little more money, you could buy Reaper and just use it's Media Explorer which is far superior.  (Free to try, so check it out.)  And of course it's a great DAW as well.

Or if you want what I consider the king of media databases, then get a subscription to LoopCloud.     Their database will allow you to search on key, BPM, frequency range,  length of clip in seconds,  instrument type, musical genre, and much more. 

I own Synomyn, Atlas, Cosmos, Resonic Pro, XO, ADSR Mgr, etc., with Synomyn being my current favorite. I've got over a miliion audio sample and MIDI files. I absolutely LOVE how Fyler displays MIDI file notes and can also play them. I think only Resonic Pro plays MIDI, but it doesn't show the notes. I also like the star rating and favoriting features. The one thing that it needs immediately is the ability to autoplay as you arrowdown a list. 

I also use Cakewalk to preview MIDI with a VST instrument, but a sample manager provides so much other info that I have to use both. Fyler ability to show the actual MIDI notes may be a gamechanger for me. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 5:23 AM, husker said:

As seen from the comments above, this is not for everyone.  I actually love it - great concept, good execution.  Clearly, one has had the ability to preview midi files on a computer since when - 1987?  This implementation, however, is so much more than that.  This is a great companion to a sample manager, and also includes other utilities.

I like it too. Like @Spice3d I like that you can see the MIDI notes and preview right in the program.

• Like 1