Midi keyboard doesn't send a signal to a plugin interface (solution: plug in MIDI cables correctly)

Sheeeawn

Question

Hello,

This is my first time setting up a DAW.

I have a keyboard connected directly to my computer via MIDI to USB.

In the Preferences section I set my keyboard up like this:  

image.png.ca6e6478c955240707b46bbdbf114908.png

Then I added the electric piano plug-in. Clicking on the digital keys produced sound but nothing happened when I used my keyboard.

image.thumb.png.809f1b8cd10d9ece9098062e61924506.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Sheeeawn

37 minutes ago, Sheeeawn said:

Sorry for the confusion, the cable is an In/Out Midi to USB/USB C, here's where I got it: https://www.amazon.com/SOULGIRL-Interface-Connecting-Synthesizer-Recording/dp/B094Y2FWHK

Thanks for clarifying.  I am not familiar with the Soul Girl brand, but it looks like other generic, no-name brands I have heard others have problems with.  If your QS8.2 is the 88-key weighted keyboard I saw online, it deserves something better than what might very well be "a piece of garbage."

Did you get MIDI-OX yet?  If so, use it with the MIDI interface cable.  Does it show that data is indeed coming from and going to your PC?  If it does, you might be able to use the cable until you get something more reliable.

There are many options for bona fide din to usb midi interfaces from second hand ones that have usb drivers known to work with Windows 10 to new midi or midi+audio interfaces in various configurations.

I only know what I have used.  For example, I have several old E-Mu Xmid 2x2 boxes that still work even though they are legacy gear (i.e., abandoned by E-Mu).  I believe those were going for $20 to $35 several years ago.  I also picked up some used iConnectMIDI+ that even though they have been replaced by newer models still work.  IIRC the 2 in 2 out box  cost around $40 (plus shipping). The iConnectMIDI4+ cost around $100.

I am not recommending these specific units, just giving you some ideas.

Maybe the 1 in, 1 out interface cable you have will work, but it might be part of the problem--which can be determined with MIDI-OX.  If MIDI-OX shows data come from the SQ8.2 and going into it you can then diagnose what's going on with Cakewalk.  

PS: My comments are consistent with bdickens and John Vere's comments (which came in while I was replying). 

Edited by User 905133
to add a PS wrt to bdickens' and John Vere's comments about the Seoul Girl.
  • Thanks 1

There's no point wasting money on a pure Midi interface for $100 when for $50 more you get an audio interface which is needed anyways if you want to do any audio recording. The only advantage to midi interfaces is that most have 4 or more in/outs for those who have a room full of nice vintage synths. But if you only have one then an Audio interface is better bang for the buck. 

• Thanks 1

Got it to work! Data is coming through MIDI OX and Cakewalk!

I just reversed the cables on the keyboard. Before the cables were matching, but now IN is going to OUT and vice versa. Also had to reboot the computer.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the tips and recommendations.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John Vere said:

There's no point wasting money on a pure Midi interface for $100 when for $50 more you get an audio interface which is needed anyways if you want to do any audio recording. 

This is purely subjective.  You have absolutely no *****ing idea what my needs are and how the $100 interface meets my studio needs.  😜 

Edited by User 905133
to add emphasis to show how idiotic I think John's comment was
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sheeeawn said:

I just reversed the cables on the keyboard. Before the cables were matching, but now IN is going to OUT and vice versa

😁 An easy fix and so obvious none of us thought of it. Have fun and welcome to the forum.