Midi keyboard doesn't send a signal to a plugin interface (solution: plug in MIDI cables correctly)

Sheeeawn

Question

Hello,

This is my first time setting up a DAW.

I have a keyboard connected directly to my computer via MIDI to USB.

In the Preferences section I set my keyboard up like this:  

image.png.ca6e6478c955240707b46bbdbf114908.png

Then I added the electric piano plug-in. Clicking on the digital keys produced sound but nothing happened when I used my keyboard.

image.thumb.png.809f1b8cd10d9ece9098062e61924506.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Sheeeawn

7 hours ago, tecknot said:

Hi Sheeeawn and welcome to the Cakewalk forums,

It seems that you have to set the input of the electric piano track to your MIDI keyboard.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Hi tecknot,

How can this be done? I can't find the option to edit the track's input.

34 minutes ago, Sheeeawn said:

How can this be done? I can't find the option to edit the track's input.

Select the SI-piano track, then Press “ i ” to open the inspector.  In the inspector, down the bottom, you need to set the input of that track to your midi-keyboard (Under “In/Out”)

Edited by Promidi

I can only assume you carefully followed the instructions in the tutorials. If you did then it should be working. 
The steps to select your keyboard controller as input are clearly explained in both videos 

I'm curious about the title shown in preferences as "midi-keyboard"  Normally the brand name is displayed. 

This is why you need to follow my instruction in the video as I'm not sure you have the proper driver installed. 

Edited by John Vere

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

I'm curious about the title shown in preferences as "midi-keyboard"  Normally the brand name is displayed. 

Right. That would seem to indicate that there is no specific driver for the keyboard or MIDI-to-USB cable.
Sheeeawn, what is the make and model of the keyboard? Does it have a USB port or are you using a MIDI-to-USB adapter cable?

@John Vere@57Gregy@bdickensI'm using a MIDI to USB adapter, and it's an Alesis QS8.2. I couldn't find any drivers for it on their site  https://www.alesis.com/products/browse/category/keyboards

image.png.c9726ab9179961e41b120e3f92db513c.png

The "midi-keyboard" was a name I adjusted myself, I can't remember what it was originally named, pretty sure it was just something like USB MIDI. 

@Lynn WilsonI tried selecting the input echo to track 3

(this thing):  image.png.b0c6333598a0829675581e1703e70381.png

but no green notes are coming through.

Does this keyboard work in any other DAW?  Does the little icon in the system tray flash on and off.  
If not then your midi to USB cable is garbage. 
Midi OX is a good free app that will diagnose midi routing issues. 

Your best solution is a audio interface that has midi ports. You’ll need that to get the audio from the synth anyway

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

The picture of the back panel of the Alesis QS8.2 I found on the internet just show 5-pin DIN ports for MIDI In, Out, and Thru.

I am assuming the "MIDI to USB adapter" is a 5-pin DIN MIDI to USB MIDI interface, possibly a cable.  Since the quality and capabilities of those interface cable vary greatly (some 1 in, 1 out no-name interface cables are notoriously problematic), perhaps it might be helpful to specify what you have (not just "MIDI to USB adapter"). 

I once tested an iConnect mio, 1 in, 1 out interface cable for suitability doing sysex data exchanges with Casio CZ synths and a computer. DIN connectors on one end connected to the synth and a usb connector on the other end connected to a modern PC.  It passed with flying colors.  However, I have heard horror stories about other 1 in, 1 out cable interfaces.  

I agree with John that MIDI-OX is an excellent tool.  However, calling the cable a "midi to USB cable" is troublesome. It leads people to think it changes midi data to usb data. 

Edited by User 905133
to add details I left out

@John VereI haven't tried in any other DAW, this is my first time with all this. The system tray's icon remains there even after unplugging

image.png.6870ada8f2a142c6e6f8ac7d35caa4ac.png

I also installed and tried monitoring it in Midi Ox but there's  nothing coming from its input, so I'll look into getting an audio interface, thank you.

@User 905133Sorry for the confusion, the cable is an In/Out Midi to USB/USB C, here's where I got it: https://www.amazon.com/SOULGIRL-Interface-Connecting-Synthesizer-Recording/dp/B094Y2FWHK

Edited by Sheeeawn