i might be headin' east, might be headin' west

bats brew

Headin' EastWest

https://batsbrew.bandcamp.com/track/headin-eastwest

there is a little eastern intrigue happening in this slow heavy rock tune. It is a hopeful feeling song about taking journeys, long sojourns, to places you’ve never been before, and hoping for the best outcomes. You don’t need to know exactly what direction you are going, only that you are going. Could be east, could be west.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Awesome, loved the driving rhythm of the guitars, very Purple if may say so. 🙂

Andy

hey andy!

i loved purple, growing up, it was all about trying to learn the ritchie riffs!

but, after i did all that, it was really the GROOVES that kept me coming back...

so yea, purple, would be an influence, rhythm guitar is where this song lives, for sure.

but since there's no keys on this, and very little jazzy drums, and quick turnaround, i don't hear the purple directly...

it's quite interesting, what different people hear when listening to new music, i think it's fascinating..

i appreciate your sharing that!

17 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Well it reminded me a little of their later (and perhaps less popular) stuff - Stormbringer in particular. I agree, it is interesting what people take away from our tracks.

Keep on rocking fella, I love your stuff.

Andy

hey andy..

stormbringer

hadn't thought about that album in quite a while....

i liked burn so much, loved the dual lead vocals...hard to believe that was way back in 1974!!

According to Glenn Hughes, the slurred gibberish that is spoken by Coverdale at the beginning of the title track just prior to the first verse is the same backwards dialogue that Linda Blair's character utters in the film The Exorcist, when she is questioned by the priest.

LOL

Lady Double Dealer, soldier of fortune , the gypsy, all really good tunes.

another amazing album by Martin Birch.

Another Great track. I Really liked the Wah and the build up near the end. Everything came together nice and powerful. With so much going on with all the guitar tracks , you probably can't use much reverb or any at all  on the guitars (??), but sometimes I think "some" on select lead parts only when they come forward in a mix would enhance the feel sonically.  As wild as you play sometimes you still sound reserved and tamed .  I guess it's a sign of a seasoned player.   Enjoyed it ..    mark

On 3/25/2022 at 9:13 AM, mark skinner said:

Another Great track. I Really liked the Wah and the build up near the end. Everything came together nice and powerful. With so much going on with all the guitar tracks , you probably can't use much reverb or any at all  on the guitars (??), but sometimes I think "some" on select lead parts only when they come forward in a mix would enhance the feel sonically.  As wild as you play sometimes you still sound reserved and tamed .  I guess it's a sign of a seasoned player.   Enjoyed it ..    mark

hey mark!

thanks man,

yea, the wah at the end, that felt pretty natural.

i usually don't walk up to the wah and say 'i'm going to use you now...',

i kind of mindlessly walk to the pedalboard and suddenly i'm on it, so i don't use it unless that willful mindlessness takes over.

now, i never use reverb for anything, unless the production calls for it. as a rule, i don't ever think about reverb. if i can make a good mix without reverb, i will.

i'm ok with using delays, more than reverb.

now, if i wanted to push something BACK in a mix, i'd use verb, but not to pull it forward. that kinda goes against the verb laws. LOL

but yes, as a 'producer', i listen to my mixes that are dense, and work for clarity and a 'hand in glove' approach with parts vs volume vs panning vs arrangement, with 'arrangement' being the most important element.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, John Vere said:

As always a great track. I also like that your doing an "Album"  it's becoming a lost art. 

HA! lost art, i agree...

for me, it's always been about 'the album', not the singles.

but hey, that's me.

when i sit down to program an album song sequence, it's a long process, a lot of thought goes into it.

hopefully, when someone actually sits and listens to 'the album', they get a better experience for it. hopefully!

thanks john

I just finished my "Album" and I posted the Sound Click link to my Facebook page so my friends and Family could listen if they liked. I was supprised at how many listened to the all the songs in a row. One couple said they opened a bottle of wine and enjoyed the "concert". Another said it reminded them of back when you did buy albums and sat and listened while reading the liner notes. I guess people expect a video on You Tube but making a Good video is much harder than making a Good recording for me. And I can't stand the ones that are just still pictures. What was the point of that. I guess you could make a "liner notes" and post that as the still shot. 

On 3/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, markno999 said:

Nice one Bat, great driving rhythm and catchy melody,.   Definitely takes you on a journey.

Regards

hey thanks mark

the groove is different, for sure, it seems slow, yet it drives.

i didn't really envision it that way, it just turned out that way.

i think there is just enough syncopation, between the solo and the rhythm, to keep kickin' it in the butt.