Cakewalk + Live Performance

Cenovita

Hi all, I recently re-discovered Cakewalk (I currently use Reason 10) and I have performed live once using Reason but I found some cons to it.

I was wondering if Cakewalk could be a better choice, specially for the following: I have a synth that uses A1TriggerGate and that plugin (and AFAIK all gate plugins) requires the DAW to be "Running" for the sound to come out.

Has Cakewalk a way to make the gate plugins (like GateLab) to work without running just by pressing the key in the MIDI controller? It would be something similar to press "Play" everytime you press a key so it won't be out of rhythm .

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Edited by Anibal Porras

Although Cakewalk may not be the best platform for live performance in all respects, it can certainly stream real-time audio with FX applied while the transport is stopped. I would have to test to be sure, but so far as I know, tempo -based FX will sync to the project tempo that is currently in effect at the Now time where the transport is stopped/paused even if it's at time zero and the project has just been opened without starting playback.

8 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Although Cakewalk may not be the best platform for live performance in all respects, it can certainly stream real-time audio with FX applied while the transport is stopped. I would have to test to be sure, but so far as I know, tempo -based FX will sync to the project tempo that is currently in effect at the Now time where the transport is stopped/paused even if it's at time zero and the project has just been opened without starting playback.

AFAIK no. If the transport is not running (thanks for teaching me the proper name) the gate will not run (you can try with gatelab which is free). A1 can work both ways and yes, it detects the tempo but, if it is on auto mode, it runs constantly but when you press the key in the midi, it may or may not be in sync with the song.

If you disable the option to autorun in A1, it will need the transport to run so they only way I found to use the synth is to start the transport at the precise moment of the drum kick in order to be sync.

I would like to know if there is a way to "emulate" a transport play when you press a midi key and to stop when you release the key.

Thanks!

i think I understand the problem now. I often rehearse with tempo delay in the studio while the transport is stopped, and it syncs to tempo just fine with the transport stopped. But in the case of a delay, the timing of the taps is based on the time that audio arrives at the input so it automatically 'starts' when the first key is hit. This is not necessarily the case with a gate, and it sounds like the particular one you're using depends on the project clock to 'know' when to start, rather than the arrival of the first audio transient.

You might just need to find a different plugin that can trigger on audio.

25 minutes ago, scook said:

No but you can assign MIDI notes to start and stop the transport in Preferences > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts

Thanks for this, I will try that.

21 minutes ago, David Baay said:

i think I understand the problem now. I often rehearse with tempo delay in the studio while the transport is stopped, and it syncs to tempo just fine with the transport stopped. But in the case of a delay, the timing of the taps is based on the time that audio arrives at the input so it automatically 'starts' when the first key is hit. This is not necessarily the case with a gate, and it sounds like the particular one you're using depends on the project clock to 'know' when to start, rather than the arrival of the first audio transient.

You might just need to find a different plugin that can trigger on audio.

Thank you very much David, I imagined that would be the case.

• 1 month later...