Why No-one Is Listening To Your Music (& How To Change That)

pwal³

tl:dr takeaways

1. "great songs are not enough"
    1. you need some sort of lcd (lowest common denominator) click bait
  2. focus! on one sm channel
    1. could be a good point 
    2. time spent on one will lead to a better sense of what works vs scattering the same ineffective content across all channels
  3. ok, but -which- channel? especially when starting out with no following at all (the point, right?)
    1. YT is a good place to start as you can post a range of content with visuals vs...
    2. AppleTunes/Spotify/SC/BC, etc. which only post audio
    3. Agreed FB is pretty beat (hardly any of my peeps use it)
    4. IG has potential, haven't  jumped on TikTok yet
    5. Twitter -might- work once you have some momentum, otherwise hard to get traction
  4. didn't post any music until he had 7,000 subscribers
    1. ya right... still need a dancing monkey of some kind
  5. the post that turned the corner for him tagged an Oasis tune
    1. ime this is a key. YT algos seem pretty efficient at picking up on hit counts (existing ruts)
      1. and why your YT feed is jammed with endless variations of the exact same thing (smh)
    2. ime covering a song has proven to be quite effective for an emerging original act
      1. people like to hear something new/but familiar at the same time
      2. and apparently YT algos can help
  6. "great songs are not enough"
    1. ya, but without them, what do you have?
Edited by jackson white
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that video.  I've been wondering about this topic.  I have no idea who James Hargreaves is, and I didn't think I would listen to 17 minutes of him talking to a camera, but I did.  It seems insightful about today's music business.  I had heard of Oasis, but I thought they were a bigger deal than they seem to be.  They had a lot of success in the UK, but they only had one song make the top 40 in the USA and that's their only song I recognize.  I'm mostly before their time.

• Like 1

I'd much rather find someone who will do 24/7 PR for free (on spec of course) until our band hits 1MU$D income stream and we will give him/her 20% of all profits after that in perpetuity.

Wait.... those people are even harder to find than real fans.

Never mind.

• 1 month later...