if you find DAWs too difficult to use...

jackson white

On 3/22/2022 at 11:43 AM, bitflipper said:

Paul Simon: "punk was invented for those who can't play a musical instrument, rap for those who can't sing.

Believe it or not, There are a lot of rappers who can actually sing.  Case in point, Queen Latifah has a very nice voice and has put out an album with just her singing. The album goes by her birth name, Dana Owen.   Below, she is singing a song she performed back in 2010. 

Check out the Album,  Dana Owen, My favorite is number 6.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 4

On 3/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, bitflipper said:

Of course none of that applies to those of us enjoying a million-dollar recording studio in a laptop, pretending to command a full orchestra, pretending to have perfect pitch, pretending to know what an oud is, taking credit for some loops we found online, and generally letting software polish our turds for us. No, that's completely different.

Woo, want to credit this sikk burn.

It's not musicianship, it's just slapping rectangles down on a grid! Me want longer sound, me make rectangle longer. 😄

• 2 months later...

It's not the first "EASY" DAW to hit the market, so you can't fault the makers.

eJay was a thing in the 90s.
AIR ignite was pretty easy to use.
Steinberg has Sequel, and they recently made it free.
There's also Magix Music Maker.
Roland has Zenbeats.

Pretty sure there are many others...

But at some point you just have to sit down and actually work on the music, it won't make itself.
We have no tools, at least not yet, that can read your mind and output a song. :) 

Edited by Cristian

On 3/25/2022 at 3:56 PM, jesse g said:

Believe it or not, There are a lot of rappers who can actually sing.  Case in point, Queen Latifah has a very nice voice and has put out an album with just her singing. The album goes by her birth name, Dana Owen.   Below, she is singing a song she performed back in 2010. 

Check out the Album,  Dana Owen, My favorite is number 6.

Sounds great!

Reminds me of Mark Tremonti singing Frank Sinatra (he sounds amazing doing it - who would have known).

• Like 1