if you find DAWs too difficult to use...

jackson white

"Should music be easier to make?"

"...music is lagging behind..."

"making music still involves mastering all those confusing frets, keys, tempos, and chord progressions"

"Most of the [production] tools that you would use, like Logic or Ableton Live, are still at this pro level. They’re hard to use, and it’s challenging to learn an instrument."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/03/20/business/startups-aim-bring-music-making-masses/

"production tools designed to be less intimidating than existing software"

ya, sounds like a plot to make karaoke bars look good...

It just shows you how out of touch the media is in general.  FL Studio and Live are popular because you can create something right away.  Beyond the surface these get very complex. 

We live in a generation wanting instant results.  How is this any different than learning an instrument.  You could spend all day on a guitar playing an e minor chord or a Bb scale on a trombone but eventually one will have to desire to go deeper.

The average person likes to do things on a phone and there are beatmaking apps and that's as far as they want to go.

I think they've done more than enough in music software to make something simple.  Some companies figured out that that home studio or hobbyist is a bigger market than the professionals.

• Like 1

Paul Simon: "punk was invented for those who can't play a musical instrument, rap for those who can't sing."  Now there's a third option for those who just can't be bothered, period.

It's called "democratization". The same process that turned millions of people into infectious disease and/or international relations experts, strippers with an iPhone into millionaires, named a Royal Navy ship "Boaty McBoatface" and gave "Keeping up with the Kardashians" a Peoples' Choice award. Everybody gets a Participation Trophy!

Of course none of that applies to those of us enjoying a million-dollar recording studio in a laptop, pretending to command a full orchestra, pretending to have perfect pitch, pretending to know what an oud is, taking credit for some loops we found online, and generally letting software polish our turds for us. No, that's completely different.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Of course none of that applies to those of us enjoying a million-dollar recording studio in a laptop, pretending to command a full orchestra, pretending to have perfect pitch, pretending to know what an oud is, taking credit for some loops we found online, and generally letting software polish our turds for us. No, that's completely different.

I've been sussed! 🥶

Music really is tough to make in modern DAWS. 

It's a royal pain looking for just the right loop professional musicians played and recorded and trying to decide between the 500 instruments at my disposal, and those mastering presets...what a pain trying to decide. Too much trouble to go buy a microphone and figure out how to put sound in there.

Now, where's my binky? 

binky.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn't sure where to post this link. All the right people who would know and remember what this reminds me of are here so I figured I'd post it here.

Maybe make someone smile and remember the 'good ol days'. (Cue Billy Joel's 'Keeping The Faith')

The more things change the more they stay the same ...

Crick here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Paul Simon: "punk was invented for those who can't play a musical instrument, rap for those who can't sing."  Now there's a third option for those who just can't be bothered, period.

It's called "democratization". The same process that turned millions of people into infectious disease and/or international relations experts, strippers with an iPhone into millionaires, named a Royal Navy ship "Boaty McBoatface" and gave "Keeping up with the Kardashians" a Peoples' Choice award. Everybody gets a Participation Trophy!

I love it when old guys (like me) get a good rant going!   Nice!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

8NLLxYW.png

Oh, wait...That's not me. But It could be .

Kenny

It makes you wonder how we managed to enjoy gigs in our younger days without a smart phone* to make a terrible recording of it.

* I realise in the picture that the kiddies are holding cameras, but the point remains valid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wibbles said:

* I realise in the picture that the kiddies are holding cameras, but the point remains valid

Yeah, because they are digital cameras - what's an "f-stop?"

Edited by Fwrend

3 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Yeah, because they are digital cameras - what's an "f-stop?"

When you're at a gig behind some kid who keeps holding his phone/camera up in the air in front of you and you tell him to f****** stop? 🤔😁

• Haha 2