MIDI Patch/Bank Numbering

Keith Wilby

Hi all,

I'm at the edge of my technical knowledge on this subject to please bear with me if I appear to talk gibberish.

I have a number of MIDI files that I created using my 90s vintage Yamaha PSR-SQ16. There are two instrument banks. I've attached a photo of the instruments and their corresponding numbers.

Now, if I open one of my MIDI files in CbB and look at a track using "Event List" and try to assign a bank number and instrument I find two issues:

1. There is a total mis-match between the SQ16 list and the list that appears in the "Event List" dialog box (see other attachment). If I want, for example, instrument 50 from the SQ16, I have to start at the beginning of the drop-down list and manually count until I reach the 50th instrument. This works but it's irksome.

2. I've found by trial and error that I can assign the bank number by using the "Controller 32" selection option and then entering "0" if I want Bank 1, and "1" if I want Bank 2.

My questions:

1. Would it be possible to have another column in the instrument drop-down list containing sequential numbers from 0 to the end?

2. For my purposes, it would be more logical for the bank numbers to match that of the SQ16. Would that cause issues for other users?

I can workaround both issues but it would be great if I didn't need to 🙂

Many thanks,

Keith.

20220321_130329.jpg

20220321_130443.jpg

8 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

Thanks guys. I couldn't find a definition file but selecting "Yamaha XG" in the preferences has improved things enormously 👍

If it's a good start you can use that as a template & edit it. It may also be that the device can send a sysex of all current settings. Not as convenient but I did that things way for years.

Edited by rfssongs
  • Thanks 1