Constant crash with TTS general midi plugin

Hugh Blaney

I seem to be getting a lot of crashes when inserting Cakewalk TTS Synth plugin. Seems to be happening a lot when trying to run it alongside VST2 and VST3 plugins.

The program makes a short buzzing noise and then crashes without the option of sending a diagnostic to the bakers.

I am using Halion Sonic  as my go to GM sound module now and I have no issues with it. TTS is rather old and forgotten about. I have been using it from Pro Audio days so I agree with you guys, it's time to move on.  Did not think this topic would have caused so much bickering guys. We all need the forums to work positively to resolve these things if we can.

Peace and love to you all,    

Hugh

Edited by Hugh Blaney
TTS RIP

This is pretty old code now, unfortunately. If there's one plugin that I can get semi-regular crashes with on my machine, which is otherwise very solid, it's that one. My suggestion is to find a more current VST2 or VST3 General MIDI plugin, and hopefully something else will be installed in CbB as the default instrument eventually.

You may be able to trigger a crash dump by going into Preferences > Initialization File and setting ExceptionHandlingSeverity with a value of 7. My guess is that if it does generate a dump, it'll be likely entirely within the TTS-1 though.

Edited by Lord Tim

TTS- will not crash if it was the first thing added to a project. But everyone has reported crashing if it is added later.  
What was the instrument you were after? Possibly we can make alternate recommendations of something free you can use. 

It doesn't crash when you route it properly. I used it on a daily basis for sound design. It has pretty nice retro drum samples. I've load it first and last, in between - it works fine. 

You didn't install any recent Sonar Platinum files, perhaps? 

Lots of people have reported it crashing Cakewalk. Just loading it into a busy project and poof! Cakewalk closes. It has now crashed projects a few times on me, j ust happened to me a short while ago. I forgot that it crashes and it always suprises me because I have used it without issues for years to start projects with. I actually prefered it's kick drum back when I used Session drummer. So I have a lot of projects that still have it and they never crash,  but I have yet to add it to a fully developed project for a few years now. 

5 hours ago, Will. said:

It doesn't crash when you route it properly. I used it on a daily basis for sound design. It has pretty nice retro drum samples. I've load it first and last, in between - it works fine. 

You didn't install any recent Sonar Platinum files, perhaps? 

Define "route it properly." What is 'improperly.'

Edited by Terry Kelley

This happens to me as well and I feel this has something to do with other plugins.

It could be latency related  of other plugins or something. 

And yes, if it's the first plugin it doesn't crash.

Anyways, the workaround is, open synth rack view and detach it to a window so that you can  turnoff other synth. Deactivate the other synth such as SI E-piano, perhaps you might need to deactivate all, and then insert TTS, and then play some notes to make sure it doesn't crash, then reactivate other instruments. You might need to disable all FX by just pressing global bypass too but maybe you don't have to. 

It's tedious but it works for me at least.

3 hours ago, Will. said:

Well, not with this attitude. 

Sorry, there was no attitude intended. I was hoping to get your input on why TTS is such a problem for many of us. You said it's not if we route it properly. Can you be more specific? And what is the wrong way to do it. I normally route it to the main bus but might add some effects,

Terry

8 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Drive on with your bad self.

Eat ice cream it will cheer you up. 

9 minutes ago, bdickens said:

I haven't used it in years.  

Well, people still use it as you can read. I do. It has samples you wont find any where else. 

59 minutes ago, Will. said:

Eat ice cream it will cheer you up. 

Well, people still use it as you can read. I do. It has samples you wont find any where else. 

Damn. What crawled up your ***** and died?

I know some people still use it.  I just said if it works for you, great. Otherwise its just not worth fighting with.

I don't like wasting time fighting with stuff. My time is extremely limited and therefore extremely valuable to me. I would rather spend it making music than wrestling with problematic software.

Like the ASIO4ALL you are so in love with.  So many people have so many issues with it I can't in good conscience reccomend doing anything but leaving it behind as you get on with your life.  Same with TTS1. Same with 32 bit abandonware plugins.

• Like 1
  • Meh 2

6 hours ago, bdickens said:

I recommend not fighting with obsolete, no-longer-in-development plugins.

While I am with you on this in general, TTS-1 is a slightly different story in that it ships as part of the Cakewalk package.

If it's crashy poo, I say either fix it or delete it from the installer. Post in Feedback Loop.

I like it because it's one of the few remaining plug-ins that will play GM files just by dropping them on the track.

Other than that....I'd only use it for demonstration purposes when sending another Cakewalk user a project.

That's probably why I haven't noticed it causing problems.

Or do what I did...
Piece together an old Pentium 4 based machine, plug in your old Yamaha SW1000XG card, skirt the edge of legality and download an "official" version of Windows XP, spend hours scrubbing it for viruses and rootkits, install MidiOX and set it up to auto-start with a configuration that forwards midi traffic from the ports to the sound engine, only run it in the winter because it doubles as a space heater, and POOF! A really nice XG/GM sound source.

Totally worth it!

TTS-1 was written by Roland a long time ago.  They were kind enough to allow it to be included in the sale of Cakewalk to Gibson, and was included as part of the asset transfer when BandLab took over.

From what I understand, the TTS-1 is internally emulating a sound canvas (i.e. it's got an internal virtual machine running the original sound canvas code).  Although the TTS-1 plugin itself is 64 bit, I suspect parts of the emulator are still effectively 32 bit... which may explain why it tends to work if it's loaded first, as there's less chance of addresses overflowing any 32 bit address variables.  I stress however, this is my suspicion - we've not got the TTS-1 code, so there's no way of verifying this, or fixing it either.

FWIW - the Roland Sound Canvas VA has exactly the same sounds as the TTS-1, and is available on Roland Cloud.

Alternatively, you can get a hardware Sound Canvas... there's plenty available on eBay ranging from the bare basics SC7 / CM300 right  up to the MGS-64 and SC8820 / SC88 Pro.  They all have essentially the same sound ROM.

• Great Idea 1