Graphics Card

Mesh

I think my current card is dying (temps around 71 degrees at normal/higher when gaming and now movies won't play). Also my main monitor (1080p) wasn't working (hooked up via HDMI) while the 2nd monitor is hooked up DVI/HDMI connector (both plugged into my graphics card). At times, I could hear the fan getting louder (especially when playing games). The card is also 6 years old.

Any suggestions on a budget graphics card under $200? There are a lot out there and it's a little tough to pick one.I Mostly use it for DAW, movies, light gaming etc...but, would like it to pack a little power.  

The only suggestion I have is get a AMD (ATI) card. I had latency problems with my NVidia card that I could never get resolved. I installed a Radeon and the latency went away. You can find many video cards sufficient for a DAW for around $100. If you can find a fanless one even better.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the late reply, but I've found out it wasn't the graphics card (although it does have all those symptoms). At some point, I had accidentally hit the VGA button while the monitor is hooked up HDMI....stupid me.

The error message I was getting was "No VGA Signal" (DOH!!). Set the monitor back to HDMI and now getting "No HDMI Signal". I tried the usual recommendations of unplugging the power cable/HDMI and leave it unplugged for 10 min etc... to no avail. Tried the internal graphics HDMI slot, switching between different HDMI slots on my graphics card with no luck. Tried 2 different HDMI cables as well.

Don't really know why it's not seeing the primary monitor's HDMI (it does see the 2nd monitor which is also HDMI).

Of note, the primary monitor works on my older PC via VGA.

If you disconnect the secondary monitor, does the primary work with HDMI?  Some older cards could only run one monitor as HDMI, and the other had to be DVI (or less). I ran my secondary as DVI back then because of this limitation.

My setup is exactly that....primary is HDMI, secondary is HDMI with a DVI adapter (my graphics card only has 1 HDMI slot).

I did try disconnecting the secondary, and even tried the primary on all the different slots....still no luck. :(