Handpan / Hang Drum, how to sound design?

Ælleden

Hello,

For personnal testing I would like to create a handpan sound design with Xfer Serum for example or with any other methods. If you guys have any ideas where I could start from, or just know what produces this sound at least so I can understand it better and how I can reproduce it.
It would help me to know what causes this very specific and aerial sound but I'm a complete beginner in music and I have no clue what would be needed to have something sounding quite close to that.

If you don't know how a Handpan sounds, here is a short example:

Thank you, that's a nice video, at least I learned that to tune this instrument you need to compress the metal which does this sound by releasing the tension. So it's opposite of actual drums skin or strings which I guess explains why it sounds so different

Not sure how far one might get trying to emulate this organic sound with a conventional synthesizer using virtual analog waveforms and/or wavetables.

Perhaps this effort might be better served with physical modeling, as used by the AAS Chromaphone 3 synth? Chromaphone 3 showcases eight physically modeled acoustic resonators. Mix and match strings, plates, drumheads, membranes, beams, bars, and tubes to reproduce real-life instruments or create original ones.

I didn't see a pre-made handpan in the library, but it does have some cool preset examples of pitched percussion. Perhaps a starting point ...

• Like 1