Cakewalk fails to start

Eric Swardt

If you look in task manager do you see a cakewalk.exe process after the splash screen disappears?
Usually issues like this mean something is causing the main process to terminate. Try and backtrack to any changes you might have made earlier since you mentioned that it was working earlier.

47 minutes ago, rfssongs said:

Did you re-boot after install. For me after the initial update, I seem to need to re-boot even though it starts right up the first time as part of the install.

Yes I did reboot. 

Tried it again just now to make sure. Still persist.

46 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If you look in task manager do you see a cakewalk.exe process after the splash screen disappears?
Usually issues like this mean something is causing the main process to terminate. Try and backtrack to any changes you might have made earlier since you mentioned that it was working earlier.

No. When I start Cakewalk it will appear in task manager for a second and then disappear. (Edit: it appears in the background processes section before disappearing again)

Earlier I rolled back to 2021.11 and then re-installed to the latest.

Edited by Eric Swardt

8 hours ago, rfssongs said:

A cold re-boot ?

"Cold" reboot?

Sorry I am not familiar with the various ways of rebooting>

Doing the Google thing seemed to suggest what every good call centre suggest, i.e. do the virus scan thing. Nothing showed up. Then do the system scan thing.

That showed some files were restored, alas, still no Cakewalk. 

snip.jpg

Have you tried starting Cakewalk without your audio interface plugged in? PS please change the title of your post since we have isolated that it is unrelated to 2022.02

Also, another couple of things to try:

Start cakewalk and repersonalize by holding down CTRL when clicking the Cakewalk icon. Respond to the prompt and allow it to re-personalize. Check if this resolves the issue.

If that doesn't work add the line below under the WinCake section in Cakewalk.ini that is found under %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core. Then try starting the app. If it crashes send us the dump file.

[WinCake]
ExceptionHandlingSeverity=7

• msmcleod changed the title to Cakewalk fails to start
5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Have you tried starting Cakewalk without your audio interface plugged in? PS please change the title of your post since we have isolated that it is unrelated to 2022.02

Also, another couple of things to try:

Start cakewalk and repersonalize by holding down CTRL when clicking the Cakewalk icon. Respond to the prompt and allow it to re-personalize. Check if this resolves the issue.

If that doesn't work add the line below under the WinCake section in Cakewalk.ini that is found under %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core. Then try starting the app. If it crashes send us the dump file.

[WinCake]
ExceptionHandlingSeverity=7

Followed each step. Where do I find the dump file?

8 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

A regular uninstall may not be enough, try a clean install as per these instructions:

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab

OK. I done that whole procedure.

Ding!

Cakewalk starts up and runs.

Deleting all those directories also deleted all my VST folders. Now for the next few hours I'll be re-installing VSTs.

14 minutes ago, Eric Swardt said:

Deleting all those directories also deleted all my VST folders. Now for the next few hours I'll be re-installing VSTs.

You are not the first.

I really wish support would add a warning about step 9 of the clean install instructions

9. Open the following directories and delete their contents: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk and C:\Program Files(x86)\Cakewalk

@Noel Borthwick, don't you think there should be some caution added about the potential to lose 3rd party plug-ins in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" (and maybe even C:\Program Files(x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins)?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2