Keyboard shortcuts - KBN to Excel / GSheet ?

Multi-Sonik

Question

Hello.

I'm trying and failing to wrap my head around about VIEWING and EDITING our KeyBoard Shortcuts assignment files. Can any computer gurus suggest a "how to " guide?

I've read that we could view / read KBN files in text editors... When I try this, my files are  only about 4-7 lines long. I do not know how to manage this.

I've tried to open a KBN file in a web browser... no good either...

Same thing when I'm trying to open the file in VS CODE. See attached picture as an example

A post in our forum seemed to suggest that some data about this ends up in the registry (accessed via REGEDIT, of course)... I'm close to useless when i'm trying to work with REGEDIT.

There's got to be a better way...

Is there some kind of standard file type for keyboard shortcuts that is used by many different apps? Should I consider a file type like an XML or whatever ??

I'M clueless...

... now... WHY am I asking? (Even if I can realise that my goal here might really just be "overkill"...)

Well, my work and my "hobbies" are causing me to test different apps (don't we all...?) and of course my workflow "speed" is greatly impacted every time i'm evaluating / presenting different DAWS and NLEs...

Currently, I'm tying to "view" , in a quick and dirty way,  keyboard assignments from these applications... hoping I can then put together some kind of my favorite "shortcuts" that could be configured the same for most (if not all) of these.

• Adobe Audition (That I COULD export to a spreadsheet... yeah)
  • Adobe Premiere
  • DaVinci Resolve 
  • Pro-Tools
  • CWBBL... of course...

Now I know that some of these apps already have presets to assign Shortcuts like "another app" (the most frequent ones I can see are for PREMIERE and PRO-TOOLS...)

I just wanted to see if a super-brain could figure out a better way to address this kind of topic regarding cross-app workflows...

... Because now I just kinda think that the only way for me to go about this right now is to open all of these apps' PDF manuals and just manually copy-paste the listed shortcuts into a spreadsheet (or just export / convert from Acrobat pro... I know... hehe...)

...and that is the end of my "quaterly" topic... I did ask something like this a couple of years ago... could not manage to actually make any progress on this subject up until today... so asking again, sorry. 😊

KBNfile.png

5 answers to this question

I am not sure what you want to do, why, or if using the contents of the KBN files will help you do what you want.  I am not sure that the assignments are kept in Windows' Registry. I am not a computer guru and almost never edit values there. I am just sharing my experiences with reading *.kbn files since you had problems doing that.

1 hour ago, Multi-Sonik said:

I've read that we could view / read KBN files in text editors... When I try this, my files are  only about 4-7 lines long. 

I've tried to open a KBN file in a web browser... no good either...

On my PC Notepad opens the *.kbn files with right click > edit.  If I wanted to put those into a spreadsheet I would just copy and paste them (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V).  When I looked at them in HxD (using Windows' "Open with" function), I don't see anything other than the text and the ascii representation of the text.  

"SONAR Default Keyboard Assignments.kbn" only has 4 lines, just like your image shows.

Please don't use any of the information I have written here to explore making random changes to the Windows Registry

Edited by User 905133
clarification added

42 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I am not sure what you want to do, why, or if using the contents of the KBN files will help you do what you want.  I am not sure that the assignments are kept in Windows' Registry. I am not a computer guru and almost never edit values there. I am just sharing my experiences with reading *.kbn files since you had problems doing that.

On my PC Notepad opens the *.kbn files with right click > edit.  If I wanted to put those into a spreadsheet I would just copy and paste them (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V).  When I looked at them in HxD (using Windows' "Open with" function), I don't see anything other than the text and the ascii representation of the text.  

"SONAR Default Keyboard Assignments.kbn" only has 4 lines, just like your image shows.

Please don't use any of the information I have written here to explore making random changes to the Windows Registry

Hello ! Thanks fo the response. When I did try to open KBN files into my text editor or coding apps like VS CODE, I only could see a couple of lines (Please refer to my attached screenshot)... So... I really do not understand why my system here is not behaving the same as yours when attempting to open a KBN file

12 minutes ago, Multi-Sonik said:

When I did try to open KBN files into my text editor or coding apps like VS CODE, I only could see a couple of lines (Please refer to my attached screenshot)... So... I really do not understand why my system here is not behaving the same as yours when attempting to open a KBN file

On my PC, Right click > Edit for the the Samplitude *.kbn assignments has section headers ([Track View], [Piano Roll View], [Loop Construction View], [Track View], etc.), Kx assignments, etc.  Not sure why I can read them and you can't.   They also open with Wordpad and my Web Brower.  I just downloaded VS Code and dragged in a *.kbn file.  After I said to trust it, it opened. Maybe others can help.  

• Like 1

I simply edit the KBN files is a standard text editor.

That being said, the only reason I have ever needed to edit the KBN files is to delete duplicate entries and crop up from time to time.

These duplicate entries can prevent the intended binding from working.

Other than that, CbB is really the best place to edit actual bindings.

KBN files only contain codes anyway - The only human readable text in KBN files are where keys are bound to CALs and Studioware panel.  All other functions are just numbers.

• Like 1