Need help to disable, enable audio in Sonar Platinum Preferences/Audio/Devices

Sonar Platinum view of input, ouput of audio drivers.docxI cannot add any other input driver, output driver. There is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen on there and will not unclick nor allow me to add another driver like say a Sound Blaster. Reason for this is because on playback my SoundBlaster sounds better than Focusrite. I really use Focusrite only for the recording aspect of vocals, guitar, midi.

I need to know if there is a setting inside Sonar that allows me to manipulate, control this? I am able to do so with earlier versions of Sonar but the Sonar Platinum is not letting me unclick the Focusrite, I have already called Focusrite and they told me to see Sonar.

When running in ASIO mode only one input/output driver may be used at a time. This is a requirement of the ASIO specification. In this case, to change drivers deselect both input and output driver settings then select a different driver.

To use more than one driver requires changing driver mode from ASIO to something else.

Whilst it is possible for Cakewalk to use more than one audio driver in WASAPI or WDM, they really should be synchronised by a single word clock.

If you don't do this, then once you've recorded additional tracks you may find they're slightly out of time with the ones you've been playing along to.

Of course you can always nudge them back/forward to compensate afterwards, but its something to be aware of.

Unfortunately your 2i2 has no clock input/output, and I doubt if your SoundBlaster has either.

If this becomes a problem for you, try looking at O'Deus ASIOLink:

This wraps one ASIO driver (e.g. your 2i2) and any number of WDM drivers (your SoundBlaster) in a single ASIO driver. You can adjust the latency between the two cards as necessary, and just save that setting.

• Like 1

I am a bit mystified as to why a Focusrite ASIO driver would not sound WAY better than a SoundBlaster.

Did you have the Cakewalk Driver Mode when using the Focusrite , set to ASIO?  And if so, what was the ASIO Buffer Size set to?  Also, what Record Bit Depth was specified, and the Sample Rate?

Also, if your sound quality issues were during recording, can you please tell me if your sound quality issues go away if you hit the letter 'E' on your computer keyboard, prior to hitting Play?  (The letter 'E' toggles off/on the bypassing of audio effects, so if your sound quality issues are caused by one or more effects plugins, you would instantly hear things sounding better by temporarily bypassing the effects by hitting 'E' - once you do this test, hitting 'E' again will resume the processing of any effects that had been bypassed).

Quite curious, 

Bob Bone

My first thought was: Which one of the two audio interfaces sound more true? Which one should you use for music making in order to get mixes that work outside your studio?

As SB is known better as a gaming card, could it be the sound you hear is somehow enhanced or otherwise manipulated? I may be totally wrong, but that's what popped in my mind. I used to be a happy SB user years ago.

Edited by Kalle Rantaaho