Secret Agent Guitar - virtual guitar with personality $9

TheSteven

https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples/wydawnictwa/secret-agent-guitar

The regular price is $39, but we've decided to set a lower price for a few days, not announce it anywhere, and see what happens. Just a little experiment. Don't know how long it will last.

A guitar with personality and character. Most people sample the nicest guitar they can get their hands on, but we went for the most interesting. This is over 10000 samples of a Defil Tarantella electric guitar made in Poland in 1972, which is a lot like those cheesy old Japanese and Italian electrics of the 1960s, but even weirder. We sampled it as a 6-string, as a 12-string, in Nashville tuning, and both electrically and acoustically. This is basically the ultimate quirky indie guitar, and a terrible guitar for death metal unless you're making death metal ironically.

Key features:

Three articulations: pluck, hammer-on and harmonic

Plucks sampled with 3 velocity layers

All articulations sampled with 4 round robins in regular tuning, 3 round robins in Nashville tuning

Feedback, string brushing noise, percussive noise and release noise sounds

Every string sampled on every fret

Low E string also sampled tuned down to Eb and D

Three vibrato types: string-bending, violin-style and tailpiece

Muting control for the spy movie twang

Over 10000 samples, 3.76 GB extracted

• Thanks 3

I got this when it first came out and I have to say it's wonderful.  It's got a quirky personality so if you want a guitar that has a different vibe I can heartily endorse this.    They did a fantastic job sampling this instrument - it sounds like I am playing - I can hear the vibrations of the body.    It has that acoustic/electric clean sound that I really like.   For $9 you cannot go wrong!  Get it!

• Thanks 1

Oh No! My GAS resistance is wavering. 

This looks quite unique and also for anyone without full Kontakt it uses Plogue Sforzando for a change.

Would also be interested in the Defil Mambo bass library if they ever find one to sample.

I'm probably not the best source of info but...

Songwise I'm not really into strumming.
I mainly use these kind of libraries for playing melody lines or playing arpeggios.
The couple of times I needed a more complex 'finger picking' I already had specific patterns in mind and wrote the MIDI out manually.   A bit of APITA but handy for long repetitive patterns or doubling (2 different guitars panned hard L & R).

I've been thinking of trying Cthulu or something similar to see if that could generate usable patterns but haven't gotten around to it.

If I do chords they tend to be simple ones, R-R-5 or triads, played as accents for example on the 2 & 4th beat.  If I'm looking for something more complex I'll usually just break out a guitar and play it.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

That helps, thanks. I got Instachord in a bundle and it can generate single strums in MIDI, but they sound so repetitive and machine-generated because, well, it's the same strum over and over and the library doesn't seem to have round robin. Now I'm looking for something like Cthulu but that can generate realistic strumming, with different velocities and tiny changes from one strum to the next. If it doesn't exist that may be a good opportunity for a developer