Envelopes behind waveforms on busses!!

jono grant

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

I can't reproduce this on my system, using the native graphics driver on my i5-3570.

Both clip envelopes and track envelopes are being shown in front for me:

image.png.6520f7700aabfee4d4343107934ab07e.png

image.png.c8424eede35613d137c268473a450af6.png

Are those buses or tracks? Mine display properly on tracks, but on buses or synth audio outs, they draw behind the wave form. (This is when you use the "waveform preview button and it draws the audio coming into the bus)

3 hours ago, jono grant said:

Are those buses or tracks? Mine display properly on tracks, but on buses or synth audio outs, they draw behind the wave form. (This is when you use the "waveform preview button and it draws the audio coming into the bus)

Ah yes, my post was a track.

I get the same result on Busses.

I suspect this behaviour is intentional, as unlike the tracks, the waveform display actually changes as a result of the envelopes.

Okay, so not just me...

The envelopes really need to be upfront so you can manipulate them and actually see what you're doing, regardless of the waveform changing after an envelope move. (That actually doesn't really work properly until you replay the audio through it anyways)

It makes it so you can't even see the nodes to grab onto them.

Also, the waveforms getting displayed is intermittent sometimes, you have to click on the screen to get them to show the odd time.

Some of the many video bugs I'm fining in the BL version. (fix it CW!)

Thanks

J

idk if this helps, but you can always toggle waveform preview to make it disappear and re-enable. You'll lose the waveform history, but you'll be able to see the envelope, make changes and then renable waveform draw.

Alternatively, Sometimes when I want to see the waveform for a track, I'll bounce to track and just look at the wave form there. 🙂 Takes a couple of secs but not too long. Then mute the track and toggle waveform draw as necessary as you work on the envelope.

34 minutes ago, Gswitz said:

idk if this helps, but you can always toggle waveform preview to make it disappear and re-enable. You'll lose the waveform history, but you'll be able to see the envelope, make changes and then renable waveform draw.

Instead of removing/redrawing preview images, I use automation lanes with aim assist enabled. For those who insist on avoiding automation lanes, audio scaling may help move the preview image out of the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tez said:
1 hour ago, jono grant said:

Okay, so not just me...

No it's not just you... But going forward for this & other reasons I'm taking Mr. Scooks advice...

Of course, aux tracks like regular audio tracks lack waveform preview. The only way to see the waveform in an aux track is record to the track (just like any other regular audio track).

1 hour ago, scook said:

Of course, aux tracks like regular audio tracks lack waveform preview. The only way to see the waveform in an aux track is record to the track (just like any other regular audio track).

Indeed... And it seems recording is only way to see the waveform behind the envelopes after stopping the recording. Just checked a track with vst automation and the waveform preview has the same issue as the bus. This was for a stereo track with the double waveform,  don't know if it's same for a mono?

Yeah there appears to be a drawing issue with the preview waveforms. They get cached on each playback but what is drawn should be always the most recent waveform. We'll look into it for a future release.
PS: I was referring to a case where the preview waveform is actually stale. Not the fact that envelopes are drawn behind the waveform which is a separate issue.

• Like 1