Vocal Take (What Am I Doing Wrong)

Johnbee58

John, I do not have a pleasing voice. I never did. Here is a story: I was in a band and I sang backup all the time. They even let me sing a few song by myself. Well as time went on and we kept writing songs, one that we did all the time we were going to record it along with a few of our originals (that I wrote) and some of the cover stuff. Something to give out when we were looking for gigs.

Well we all did our musical parts and it came time for me to sing the vocal. I did it and thought I did a great take. I asked if it was good enough, they said let's do it again. We did that about four times. The last time when I asked how it was they told me come listen. When I heard it I was stunned. I was all out of tune, sounding like I was straining... just not good at all. So I asked them, do I always sound like this? Cause if I do sound like that all the time, ya'll should have shut me up a long time ago. The sad fact was that was how I sang all the time.

Listen to this: https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/open?id=aw3lreP2-USsvxngwmTC_w that's me. And I am trying my best. But it's not pleasing and I know this. 

Now listen to this: https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/open?id=WNpIcAP87ESQWcFB1bE9TA That's me, and I am tying real hard. Did a lot of practicing! : ) But there are middle of the road singers out there that would put me to shame.

But what people think of my voice has nothing to do with me writing my songs and me trying to get them out there. Nothing will stop me. Do not let this get you down.

Just keep belting them out my brother!! You will find your audience.

I usually don't bear my soul out like this on this forum, but I am trying to help. Hope you continue on.

[edit]  I fixed the second link. Both were going to the same song. Sorry! :

Edited by Grem
spelling

Some other member here has seen fit to make a mockery of my efforts in a post he presented above.  I have taken all of my music off the internet.  I give up.  I can no longer stand this hobby.  It has broken my heart.  Some people are just *****holes and are no help at all.  First thing tomorrow I'm destroying all of my projects on all my drives.  You're all right.  My music sucks and I will no longer subject the world to it.  And since I've loved it so much, I think this will be taking me into a major depression.

Thank you

• Confused 2

@Johnbee58, I wasn't making a mockery of it, Just so you know. I was trying to do something cool with it. I grabbed. Analyzed it. Messed with it.

My tastes may not be yours. I love making things sound edgy. I've actually listened repeatedly to your lyric and enjoyed it.

Regarding folks talking about proximity effect etc, I don't see any low end at all. Your voice is very very different from mine. 

I did apply a little Melodyne and put you in the key of Ab. Idk what you were really doing. I made some pitch adjustments and then twice bounced while twiddling fx to get the result I did.

Please don't be hurt. Be flattered I took the time, if anything. 🙂

If you want me to give real advice, the first thing I'd say is lighten up. The second would be to feel it as you sing. Have fun. 🙂 Don't sweat the small stuff and don't quit. I can't imagine why you'd quit.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

Lou Reed.  Marianne Faithfull.  I can name many others who can't sing for toffees, some who virtually 'talk' instead.  What they all have in common though is that they understood that, but still wanted to express themselves musically.  So they worked on sculpting what noises they could make into being 'quirky' and making songs and music that suited that matched their limited warbling abilities.

I played in bands for years and always got shirty with individuals I felt could sing, say, backing vocals, but claimed "I can't sing."  This was almost always code for "I don't want to embarrass myself" and "I can't be bothered to try".  I would then go on to give them a few tips and force them to darn well contribute, like others in the band. 

Capitalise on what you can do, and do it with verve and commitment.  That will come through in the delivery and be picked up by the listener, who isn't expecting Pararotti - it's pop/rock and almost anything goes.  If, however, you sing reticently, that will also be picked up by the listener and they'll be distracted from the lyrics and  won't want to stay with it.  

• Like 1

The link in the OP doesn't work.

And for what its worth, I would try to take criticism with a grain of salt when asking for help/opinions. If you don't and become upset every time someone gives you there opinion...you'll never progress properly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

The link in the OP doesn't work.

I took it down.  I took EVERYTHING down.  You don't want to hear it.   It sucks, and so does the music.  I will no longer subject the public at large to the garbage I call my music.

Thank you.

Just now, Johnbee58 said:

I took it down.  I took EVERYTHING down.  You don't want to hear it.   It sucks, and so does the music.  I will no longer subject the public at large to the garbage I call my music.

Thank you.

I sat here wasting 5-10 minutes of my time searching through 3 pages for an updated link to your song in hopes to help. and this is the response I get ? xD

PS- The "Poor me" attitude. wont get you any where..and listen to peoples criticism with a grain of salt. or you'll never learn anything..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skyline_UK said:

Capitalise on what you can do, and do it with verve and commitment.  That will come through in the delivery and be picked up by the listener, who isn't expecting Pararotti - it's pop/rock and almost anything goes.  If, however, you sing reticently, that will also be picked up by the listener and they'll be distracted from the lyrics and  won't want to stay with it.  

One of the bands I was in, that always drew a crowd, our attitude was we are going out there and have fun. We didn't care what anybody else was doing. We didn't care that such and such big name local band was playing just down the road. We didn't care about anything really. But we did practice our asses off, honed our songs, made sure we were tight, and went at it. And the crowd always responded positively. They responded that way because that's what we gave them. Honest music from the heart. We had some of the best times of our lives! We would play till daylight damn near every time we played in our hometown!!

You get what you give. Well said Sky.

• Like 2

Listen please everybody.

I know you're just trying to help, but it's not happening.  I'm finished with music.  It's nobody's fault, it's just that I'm not talented.  TVR is right and Tezza is right.  I can't sing and it's too late to learn.  All of these years I've been deluding myself into thinking I had musical talent.  I don't.  Yesterday and this  thread were just a wake up call.  It's been too important to me.  There are other things in my life I should focus on, so I guess this is a way of getting my attention to that fact.  My music has been just another form or masturbation.  I can't even get my family to listen to it.  Other than my wife and and a small handful of people on this site, I'm the only one who listens to it, and that's sad and pathetic!  I've spent so much time and money on it over the years and it's nothing but frustrating.  It's become a monkey on my back instead of something I enjoy and this is a part of it.  It's time for me to re focus on more important things in my life.  Facing reality is sometimes a cruel slap in the face.  Well, June 6, 2019 was my wake up call.  My music is dead.  It's like losing a friend or a family member but  I've lost many family members over the past few years.  I'll get over it.   You're right.  I have no musical talent.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Now I can move on.

😀JB

Chuck-Sorry you wasted your time.

Edited by Johnbee58

John, just to throw this out there too....

I know a lot of very talented musicians who can't write a song to save their life. They can play almost anything you put in front of them. The ability to write and craft a song is a special talent. Don't let it go to waste.

Heck, the ability to write lyrics is an art unto itself!

• Like 3

I took vocal lessons for many years from some of the best teachers in Boston. I also gave lessons for many years.

Though the most ironic thing...I learned more about singing by listening to my own students make mistakes. It made me look outside the box.

Sometimes its more about stepping outside and looking in at yourself, than it is about being inside looking out. Accept criticism and use it to learn.

@Grem Made a great point. Play music for you and to make you happy.

• Like 3

If you're frustrated, sometimes the best thing you can do is get away from music (for a while).

You'll come back re-energized, recharged, and with more tempered perspective.

You're never too old to improve!

I'm 52 and working with world-class vocal coach Jaime Vendera (Myth Busters, works with rock-stars, going on tour with I Prevail July 14th).

While I'll never be a rock-star, my voice sounds significantly better today than twenty years ago.

I'll be singing with the band tonight (four hour show) at Buckeye Lake.  

The vocal exercises I'm doing (to improve range/stamina) take about an hour a day.  Many days, it's hard to find (make) the time.

It would be easy to just give up... and accept failure.

We're given but one go at this life.  Live yours the way you chose.

Back in school, the choir teacher didn't think I could sing.

All these years later, I front a rock-band with some of the best rock players in Central Ohio.

My father never thought my musical aspirations would amount to anything.

On one level, he was right (I'm not a rock-star)... but I've managed to eek out a 25+ year career working around music and musicians (some of who are rock-stars).

My career path wasn't conventional... nor was it planned, but I absolutely love what I do. 

I had to let the ultimate dream go (compromise), but the sum of my life experience (technical and musical) led  to a career that's a perfect fit (for me).

Follow the beat of your own drummer!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1