How to install a .dll plug in with out install program.

If the plug-in is just a dll, it should go in a VST2 path.

Dlls in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" are not scanned.

Of course, there may be more to it than simply putting the file in the scan path but not knowing anything about the plug-in other than its extension makes it difficult to discuss.

• Like 1

When ever I find a plugin that is just a single file (.DLL or .VST3), I simply place that file in a folder listed in Preferences | File |VST Settings > VST Scan paths.

If it's a DLL file I place it in a VST2 path.  If it's a VST3 file, I place it in a VST3 path (Which is usually C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3)

Then I do a scan - either from the Preferences | File |VST Settings dialogue or from Cakewalk Plug-in Manager.

Because I use Custom Plug-in Menu Layouts, I use the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager to place that plugin name (which I can always find) in my custom Plug-in Menu Layouts.

For me, this works every single time.

I’m thinking the OP might be saying “ Can I install a Plug in without using the installer?”   
Answer to that is No. 

It seems half the plug ins out there  use an installer. Especially ones that will need to be registered. This is by design and just copying the .dll from the  installer folder won’t work. 

Now I've gone an done it. Windows 10 crashed. I cannot uninstall Cakewalk BandLab because it will not show up in the uninstall

control panel. Any ideas on how I can uninstall this? I have tried to reinstall but it says I'm missing some files so it cannot proceed with the install.

16 minutes ago, David Kochie said:

Now I've gone an done it. Windows 10 crashed. I cannot uninstall Cakewalk BandLab because it will not show up in the uninstall

control panel. Any ideas on how I can uninstall this? I have tried to reinstall but it says I'm missing some files so it cannot proceed with the install.

The uninstall information for many programs (including Cakewalk) is stored in the registry

I think you have bigger issues if Windows 10 crashed and Cakewalk BandLab will no longer show up in the uninstall.

You might want to see if you (or who ever you get to look at your PC) can find out the reason for the crash.  

It could be a hard drive on its way out.  You can use the Windows System Event Viewer to check for hard drive issues.  You might find other warning or error events there as well that might give you a clue.

It could even be a faulty driver that crashed Windows

You could attempt a system restore (Start Run rstrui).

But, personally, I would want to sort out what caused the Windows 10 crash first before trying to uninstall and reinstall Cakewalk.

17 hours ago, Promidi said:

The uninstall information for many programs (including Cakewalk) is stored in the registry

I think you have bigger issues if Windows 10 crashed and Cakewalk BandLab will no longer show up in the uninstall.

You might want to see if you (or who ever you get to look at your PC) can find out the reason for the crash.  

It could be a hard drive on its way out.  You can use the Windows System Event Viewer to check for hard drive issues.  You might find other warning or error events there as well that might give you a clue.

It could even be a faulty driver that crashed Windows

You could attempt a system restore (Start Run rstrui).

But, personally, I would want to sort out what caused the Windows 10 crash first before trying to uninstall and reinstall Cakewalk.

At this point I've found nothing that will allow me unistall Cakewalk BandLab. I've tried all the youtube videos.. Attached is the error I get when I try to do anything with Cakewalk. I'm going to try the  Start Run rstrui.

I want to say thank you to all the suggestions that have been given.

Error when trying to start BandLab.JPG

That error comes from a validation process during program starts up and indicates the DAW cannot find the correct CW130Auto.dll in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities" (assuming the program is installed in the default location).

Normally all four items mentioned in that message must be at the same release.

Once the system is stabilized, there should be a manual way to working around the uninstaller issue.

The first thing I would try is what the message suggests, re-install.

It may not be necessary to uninstall.

Either run any full Cakewalk installer in your Downloads\Cakewalk folder or run the Cakewalk Installer from https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Note: it is important that none of the folders used by the DAW are compressed. Sometimes Windows will silently compress folders if the drive is running low on space. Also make sure, if running Windows Defender, "Controlled folder access" is disabled. This can interfere with installation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scook said:

That error comes from the validation process when the program starts up and indicates the DAW cannot find the correct CW130Auto.dl in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities" (assuming the program is installed in the default location).

Normally all four items mentioned in that message must be at the same release.

Once the system is stabilized, there should be a manual way to working around the uninstaller issue.

The first thing I would try is what the message suggests, re-install.

It may not be necessary to uninstall.

Either run any full Cakewalk installer in your Downloads\Cakewalk folder or run the Cakewalk Installer from https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Note: it is important that none of the folders used by the DAW are compressed. Sometimes Windows will silently compress folders if the drive is running low on space. Also make sure, if running Windows Defender, "Controlled folder access" is disabled. This can interfere with installation.

I have done several reinstalls,free space on my HD is 1/2 gb There are only two folders in my C program files under Cakewalk one is VST I cant remember what the other it was called. It seems to me that Cakewalk Is in a different location? The windows defender controlled was disabled.

1 minute ago, David Kochie said:

There are only two folders in my C program files under Cakewalk one is VST I cant remember what the other it was called. It seems to me that Cakewalk Is in a different location?

Best not to work from memory.

In a default installation "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" contains the following folders

• Cakewalk Core 
  • Shared DXi
  • Shared MIDI Plugins
  • Shared Plugins
  • Shared Surfaces 
  • Shared Utilities

In addition to folders in "C:\Program Files" the installer creates folders in

• C:\Cakewalk Content
  • C:\Cakewalk Projects
  • C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk

1 hour ago, scook said:

Best not to work from memory.

In a default installation "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" contains the following folders

• Cakewalk Core 
  • Shared DXi
  • Shared MIDI Plugins
  • Shared Plugins
  • Shared Surfaces 
  • Shared Utilities

In addition to folders in "C:\Program Files" the installer creates folders in

• C:\Cakewalk Content
  • C:\Cakewalk Projects
  • C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk

My C:\ programFiles\Cakewalk contains :Shared Utilities Studio Instruments ? and VST plugins

In c:\Cakewalk Content I have:Cakewalk Themes,Demo Projects,Drum replacer.

Cakewalk Projects: There is no folder named Cakewalk Projects

Program data cakewalk: Studio Instruments and uninstallers folder. Inside the folder are uninstall exe.s for the addons but no uninstall for Cakewalk.

Studio Instruments, Demo Projects and Drum Replacer are not part of the core CbB package but are add on installer.

The missing folders indicate a non-standard install. 

If I had to guess the original install did not use defaults.

Where is the cakewalk.exe?

The "shared folders" need to be installed in the same folder as "the "Cakewalk Core" folder (which contains the cakewalk.exe).

Thanks for all the input. Youtube works for some things but this forum is the tops for help.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. This is what I was able to do to reinstall my corrupt Cakewalk BandLab:

Instructions to get a Clean install Of Cakewalk BandLab

Run all Cakewalk uninstallers. This is normally done by utilizing the Add/Remove programs tool from the Control Panel. BandLab Assistant and the previous Cakewalk Command Center also have uninstall options within their respective programs.

1.   After the uninstall process is complete, open the Run Prompt. In Windows 7, 8, and 10, this can be done by holding down the “Windows” key and pressing “R” on the keyboard.

2.   At the prompt, type regedit and click [OK].

3.   Click [Yes] if asked to allow the program to make changes to your computer.         *Important: When you access the Registry Editor, create a backup by going to File > Export. In the Export Registry File window that comes up, make sure “Export range” is set to “All” and that “Save as type” is set to “Registration Files (*.reg)”. It is very important to create a backup of your registry because if you accidentally delete a registry key there is no undo function. You can, however, double-click on the Registry backup you made above to re-import your registry keys if you make any mistakes. You must re-import your backup (if needed) before restarting your computer.

4.   Delete the following Registry keys. If you do not have one of the Registry keys below, simply proceed to the next one on the list.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software

5.   Open the Run Prompt again.

6.   Copy and paste %appdata% into the prompt and click [OK]. On Windows 7, 8, and 10, the “AppData\Roaming” folder will open.

7.   Right-click on the Cakewalk folder and select Delete.

8.   Open the following directories and delete their contents: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk and C:\Program Files(x86)\Cakewalk

9.   At this point, you can reinstall your Cakewalk software.

Yes, a clean install was the next step.

The confusing thing I was hoping to sort out first was the existing layout of the DAW.

From everything above, it appears that even after a clean install there may parts of previous installs still resident.

This is why I waited to recommend a clean install.