Capture automation data from VST automatically (Arturia PolyBrute Connect scenario)

Jezric

If a VST added as an instrument track outputs Automation data (not MIDI CC), is there a way for Cakewalk to capture that automatically (like if it were MIDI CC data on a MIDI track), or like a control surface (Mackie Control) would do for track volume/pan/etc?

The Scenario:

Arturia PolyBrute Connect is a VST that accompanies the Arturia Polybrute analog synth, when added to a DAW (or run standalone), the hardware synth communicates all its parameter data directly to the VST (i.e. when you turn knobs on the synth it is displayed in the VST UI in realtime, and vice versa, when you change params in the software interface, those are also reflected on the synth hardware).  When the VST is added as an instrument in Cakewalk, you can create automation lanes and set them explicitly to receive parameter data from the PolyBrute Connect VST. However, I don't see a way to have the instrument track just automatically capture any parameter (Automation) data coming from the VST. I would think that enabled Automation Write on the instrument track itself would do this, but it doesn't. 

Alternatively, if you use the PolyBrute synth without the accompanying software/VST, it will send MIDI CC data through its USB MIDI interface. This is disabled when running the software as the synth then send NMTP data to the PolyBrute Connect software instead. 

So I don't see any way to run the use the PolyBrute with the VST and capture all the knob movements into automation lanes without preemptively setting up all the lanes you think you're going to want to capture, which kind of defeats the purpose (in my opinion). 

8 hours ago, scook said:

Try write enabling the plug-in instead of the track

Y388tRA.png

I swear I tried this with no luck, but I just tried it (again?) and it works!!  thank you @scook!

Do you happen to know what the difference is between MIDI CC and "Parameter Automation"?  Like, what is the protocol called for automation if not MIDI Control Change/Continuous Control?