Trying to export metronome, Aux track won't export

nkeelaghan

Question

Hi, I'm trying to export the metronome with my audio, and I was using the method on this video:

I followed all the steps and it seemed super simple, but the clicks aren't exporting. Here's a screencap of what I'm doing. Maybe there's one button I forgot to click?

Why are the clicks in the Aux track not exporting?

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

Thanks for reporting this. Something has changed since I made that video. I just tested myself and you are correct there is no way to dirrectly export the sound of the metronome. The method I used in the video used to work,  I'm just testing things right now to see what will work.  

EDIT: OK I found a very simple solution. 

1. Add Aux send to Metronome bus to create the aux track in the track pane. 

2. set metronome to play during recording

3.  arm the Metronome Aux track to record

4. Press record  and it will record a stereo track in real time.

This will be included in exports and can be panned, level even automated etc. If you export as Stems it will be a track. 

I'll have to pull my video and re due. Thanks once again for bringing this to my attention. 

1758175324_Screenshot(430).thumb.png.96470c8f3690b992b6e2981ec74a9d3d.png

Edited by John Vere

From what I understand, there's something complicated in the internal plumbing related to the metronome dating back to when it was first introduced many years ago that makes it hard to treat as an exportable track. I'm one of likely many people who have asked for it to be able to be exported directly, so I'd say it's on a to-do list somewhere.

In the meantime, John's method of routing the metronome to an Aux track and recording that track as a regular audio track works well and is what I usually do.

The other option is to find a 1 bar groove clip of a metronome and import that to a track and drag it out to the length of the project. Not quite as elegant but it's handy if you have no patience and can't wait for a real-time metronome to record.

I myself have never really used the metronome much. I always start with a basic drum pattern which I have a collection I copied from my Roland 505 drum machine 20 years ago. 
I imagine the people who want this feature the most are using Cakewalk for live performance and need a click track for the drummer.  Or it’s going to a studio somewhere that doesn’t use Cakewalk. But that seem pointless because all DAWs have metronomes. 

"I myself have never really used the metronome much. "

One of the most useful functions of the metronome is the lead in. I use it on almost every recording I make. Midi or audio. It great when punching in the middle of the song as I don't actually use the punch in function.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:31 PM, John Vere said:

never really used the metronome much. I always start with a basic drum pattern

On 6/10/2022 at 11:03 PM, rfssongs said:

One of the most useful functions of the metronome is the lead in

I also use a drum track, with the count-in in that drum track.