Great price on Kontakt 6 full version

Billy86

On 6/4/2019 at 10:02 AM, David Owen said:

Thanks for the tip!  I just got the NI Kontakt 6 full version thanks to you.  I had no idea that the sale was going on.  Great price!  Thanks again, Billy86 for the information!

Welcome! It was a bolt from the blue for me. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

What?? I’m not seeing that with the K6 I just bought...

You bought Kontakt and not Komplete right?

The basic version of Komplete, IOW not the ultimate version should have Kontakt in it. Some qualify for a 99.00 move to Komplete. 99.00 instead of 49.00 upgrade. I could have went that route but I have all I need right now is Kontakt 6. I dropped 49.00 for Kontakt 6. For 50.00 more a person could get Komplete basic which includes Kontakt6. Not a shabby deal either.

Thanks for the heads up on the deal. I probably wouldn't have upgraded otherwise.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:25 PM, Robert Bone said:

2) I never load up more than 4-5 instruments into a single instance of Kontakt, because (at least at one point), otherwise after somewhere around 5 (might be 6) or more instruments in the Kontakt instance, when you are assigning the Outputs for the audio tracks for each instrument, the displayed list of Kontakt output channels starts to get garbled up.  Leaving the max number of instruments for a single Kontakt instance at 4-5, and that issue does not occur

You can load up as many instruments in an instance of Kontakt as you want to and it will work fine.  In fact, Kontakt 5 came with different versions -- one with 8 outputs, one with 16.  You just need to know how to add outputs in Kontakt--and then you can save it as a default, and then Kontakt will load up that way every time.   Most people will only want a few instruments in a single instance, but there are some uses--like using Vienna Ensemble Pro in massive templates--where Kontakt instances with 32 or even more instruments are often used. 

Another way to organize all your instruments is to use Kontakt's Quickload feature.  Here you can drag all your NI instruments and non-NI instruments into folders.  There are numerous advantages to this.  

First, your instruments can be anywhere on your hard drives.  The instruments in the Quickload folders are just pointers.

Second, you can organize the same instrument into many categories.    I have a "Rhythmic" folder in Quickload.  That has things like Output synths, DAT's indie fingers series, sonokinetic's ostinato series, and various synth arps.    These same instruments also are found in "synth" and "orchestral" folders.  

Third, if you click the triangle at the top, to the left of the instrument name, all your quickload folders and instruments are accessible through a dropdown menu.

Edited by Tiger The Frog

I have been using Kontak player as I purchased Komplete Select 11,  but now the Komplete upgrade to 12 is on sale at NI for just $199.50, which is a great bargain.  $125.00 for Kontakt 6 Full  or $199.50 for Komplete 12 with all of it's glory.   I'm going to Komplete 12

13 SYNTHESIZERS ( MASSIVE X, TRK-01, REAKTOR 6,
20 SAMPLED INSTRUMENTS
5 DRUMS AND PERCUSSION INSTRUMENTS
15 EFFECTS
10 EXPANSIONS

Komplete 12 Information

KONTAKT 6
MASSIVE X
TRK-01
SCARBEE RICKENBACKER BASS
MOD PACK: PHASIS
MOD PACK: CHORAL
MOD PACK: FLAIR
ETHEREAL EARTH
ANALOG DREAMS
HYBRID KEYS
MIDDLE EAST
SESSION STRINGS 2
TRUE SCHOOL
VELVET LOUNGE
DEEP MATTER
HALCYON SKY
LUCID MISSION
NEON DRIVE
QUEENSBRIDGE STORY
MOLTEN VEIL
ELASTIC THUMP
LONDON GRIT
FORM
REAKTOR 6
UNA CORDA
SESSION GUITARIST: STRUMMED ACOUSTIC
DISCOVERY SERIES: INDIA
KINETIC METAL
REPLIKA
DRIVER
ROUNDS
KONTOUR
POLYPLEX
SESSION HORNS
SUPERCHARGER
THE MAVERICK
THE GRANDEUR
BATTERY 4
THE GIANT
SOLID DYNAMICS
SOLID EQ
ABBEY ROAD 60S DRUMMER
GUITAR RIG 5 PRO
STUDIO DRUMMER
TRANSIENT MASTER
REAKTOR SPARK
SCARBEE A-200
SCARBEE CLAVINET/PIANET
SCARBEE MM-BASS
THE FINGER
RAMMFIRE
REFLEKTOR
TRAKTOR'S 12
ABSYNTH 5
FM8

6 hours ago, Tiger The Frog said:

You can load up as many instruments in an instance of Kontakt as you want to and it will work fine.  In fact, Kontakt 5 came with different versions -- one with 8 outputs, one with 16.  You just need to know how to add outputs in Kontakt--and then you can save it as a default, and then Kontakt will load up that way every time.   Most people will only want a few instruments in a single instance, but there are some uses--like using Vienna Ensemble Pro in massive templates--where Kontakt instances with 32 or even more instruments are often used. 

Hi - for sure - the issue I referred to is NOT with Kontakt, but with how the list of available choices are displayed by Cakewalk, when assigning an audio input for a Kontakt instance when there are more than 4-5 loaded instruments in the Kontakt instance.  I have hopefully created and properly shared a screen shot of the issue I refer to, where the list of available sources to assign as an Input to an Audio Track gets messed up, after 6-7 loaded instruments.

Here is the link to the screen shot - look what starts to happen with the list - I outlined the area in the list with a red rectangle:

https://imgur.com/lI3cCpn

Now, in the above, the displayed input sources start to get messed up with the 6th and 7th instruments - you see Strings Left (Mono), and the next entry SHOULD be Strings Right (Mono), but instead, it improperly shows Choir Right (Mono). 

The actual order of instruments loaded into the single Kontakt instance are: Bass, Organ, Trumpets, Rhodes, Jazz Gtr, Strings, and Choir, for a total of 7 instruments.  After loading up the instruments, I used the Batch Functions to delete the output section entries and create a stereo output channel for each loaded instrument, and then renamed each output channel to something shorter and clearer for each instrument.

Now, if there is some way to have these available input sources display properly - by CbB, I would LOVE to be able to have more instruments loaded into a single Kontakt instance, I would love to learn about it.

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Added additional info and hopefully made easier to understand the issue.

11 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Hi - for sure - the issue I referred to is NOT with Kontakt, but with how the list of available choices are displayed by Cakewalk, when assigning an audio input for a Kontakt instance when there are more than 4-5 loaded instruments in the Kontakt instance.  I have hopefully created and properly shared a screen shot of the issue I refer to, where the list of available sources to assign as an Input to an Audio Track gets messed up, after 6-7 loaded instruments.

Here is the link to the screen shot - look what starts to happen with the list - I outlined the area in the list with a red rectangle:

https://imgur.com/lI3cCpn

Now, in the above, the displayed input sources start to get messed up with the 6th and 7th instruments - you see Strings Left (Mono), and the next entry SHOULD be Strings Right (Mono), but instead, it improperly shows Choir Right (Mono). 

The actual order of instruments loaded into the single Kontakt instance are: Bass, Organ, Trumpets, Rhodes, Jazz Gtr, Strings, and Choir, for a total of 7 instruments.  After loading up the instruments, I used the Batch Functions to delete the output section entries and create a stereo output channel for each loaded instrument, and then renamed each output channel to something shorter and clearer for each instrument.

Now, if there is some way to have these available input sources display properly - by CbB, I would LOVE to be able to have more instruments loaded into a single Kontakt instance, I would love to learn about it.

Bob Bone

Hi Bob, 

In your origiinal post you didn't specify that you have had a problem using Kontakt in Cakewalk--but not with Kontakt itself.  Not everybody who frequents this forum is a Cakewalk user, as it's a deals forum.  I'm an ex-Sonar user who switched to Cubase when they went out of business. 

Speaking to people who have just got Kontakt or are thinking about getting it, I want to make clear that there are large numbers of people like me who use Kontakt every day with large amounts of instruments in one instance and never have a problem.  IMO it's one of Kontakt's most important features, essential for mixing multis and separating the outputs for different drums in a drum kit. 

If there is a bug in Cakewalk regarding this important Kontakt feature, IMHO this is something they should address.  But maybe there is a solution to your issue out there.

Reid

1 hour ago, Tiger The Frog said:

Hi Bob, 

In your origiinal post you didn't specify that you have had a problem using Kontakt in Cakewalk--but not with Kontakt itself.  Not everybody who frequents this forum is a Cakewalk user, as it's a deals forum.  I'm an ex-Sonar user who switched to Cubase when they went out of business. 

Speaking to people who have just got Kontakt or are thinking about getting it, I want to make clear that there are large numbers of people like me who use Kontakt every day with large amounts of instruments in one instance and never have a problem.  IMO it's one of Kontakt's most important features, essential for mixing multis and separating the outputs for different drums in a drum kit. 

If there is a bug in Cakewalk regarding this important Kontakt feature, IMHO this is something they should address.  But maybe there is a solution to your issue out there.

Reid

Sure - the post started out in a different forum and got moved to deals, no probs.  I LOVE Kontakt - it is my go to instrument plugin - it may be caused by how I do something in my use of it that results in Cakewalk having issues displaying the available input sources.  Or maybe I am somehow causing to have Kontakt pass Cakewalk a messed up list of available sources for assignment to audio tracks. 

You mention loading up loads of instruments into a single instance - can you please let me know how you load up the instruments and set up the output section, when you load up a large number of instruments into one instance? 

THANKS,

Bob Bone

• Like 1

Hi Bob,   @Robert Bone

I'll do my best.  🤔

Forgive me if you already know this, but first you have to set up a default template in Kontakt, so that it opens up every time with the amount of outputs you want.  In Kontakt 6 you do this by clicking the + sign next to where it says "Outputs" which brings up this dialogue.   

759532268_KontaktOutputs.jpg.828dee4807b5f08c9eca9ebe93b5b772.jpg

There are many YouTube videos that show how to set  up multiple outputs in Kontakt 5.  It's the same for Kontakt 6  except for the + sign. 

My default Kontakt template has 16 outputs, mapped from 1/2 to 31/32.   Once I open that, I add as many instruments as I want.  When I'm done, I use the batch dialogue to assign each to a separate channel in Cubase, or I do it manually. 

597570563_KontaktOutputsbatch.jpg.837e8bcb85e8c716d7e0afe20794ff86.jpg

At this point I can see that sound is going into the various output channels, but in Cubase I still don't hear any sound from anything but the first two R&L channels.  I have to activate the outputs I need in Cubase for that particular instance of Kontakt. I might not need all 16.  I don't know how this works in Cakewalk.  As I do that, those tracks turn up in my mixer.

Cubase Activate Outputs.jpg

It gets even more complicated when you start routing this stuff into VE Pro and back. 😭 While initial setup is time-consuming, eventually I have templates for various kinds of music that I launch when needed. 

I hope this is helpful, Bob.  If you already know it, maybe it will help somebody else.  

Reid

Edited by Tiger The Frog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Read somewhere that it doesn’t qualify anymore, abacab. 

If so, the Embertone Arcane library for Kontakt Player is still free and qualifies. 

That's possible, however I haven't seen that yet , and maybe the reason I may have missed that is I have another instrument that's from Soniccouture that qualifies me. I had it before DrumMic'a and just assumed that NI only shows one qualifying instrument in the crossgrade dialogue page, and not all that you may have available. But I have seen many posts from folks that used DrumMic'a to get the crossgrade.

I will probably wait another year for K6, as I spent my upgrade budget on a SampleTank 4 Max crossgrade this year. :D

8 hours ago, Tiger The Frog said:

Hi Bob,   @Robert Bone

I'll do my best.  🤔

Forgive me if you already know this, but first you have to set up a default template in Kontakt, so that it opens up every time with the amount of outputs you want.  In Kontakt 6 you do this by clicking the + sign next to where it says "Outputs" which brings up this dialogue.   

759532268_KontaktOutputs.jpg.828dee4807b5f08c9eca9ebe93b5b772.jpg

There are many YouTube videos that show how to set  up multiple outputs in Kontakt 5.  It's the same for Kontakt 6  except for the + sign. 

My default Kontakt template has 16 outputs, mapped from 1/2 to 31/32.   Once I open that, I add as many instruments as I want.  When I'm done, I use the batch dialogue to assign each to a separate channel in Cubase, or I do it manually. 

597570563_KontaktOutputsbatch.jpg.837e8bcb85e8c716d7e0afe20794ff86.jpg

At this point I can see that sound is going into the various output channels, but in Cubase I still don't hear any sound from anything but the first two R&L channels.  I have to activate the outputs I need in Cubase for that particular instance of Kontakt. I might not need all 16.  I don't know how this works in Cakewalk.  As I do that, those tracks turn up in my mixer.

Cubase Activate Outputs.jpg

It gets even more complicated when you start routing this stuff into VE Pro and back. 😭 While initial setup is time-consuming, eventually I have templates for various kinds of music that I launch when needed. 

I hope this is helpful, Bob.  If you already know it, maybe it will help somebody else.  

Reid

I looked at doing it that way - but I do not use any particular number of instruments, certainly not like a giant orchestral setup that many Kontakt users set up.  I generally prefer to load up just the instruments I need.

That being said, the reason I have always one my instrument and output section configuration on the fly - meaning per instance of Kontakt, is because (starting from the original default 1 output channel and a aux channel configuration of the Kontakt Output Section), I always found it much faster to first load up 5-6 instruments, then I would run one of the Batch Functions - the one that clears the output section and inserts a stereo output channel for each loaded instrument.  I find doing it this way faster than setting up the default output section with - using your example - 16 stereo output channels, because doing it that way, when I would load up the same 5-6 instruments, they would all start off set to use St.1 output channel, and I would have to go into each instrument and change its output channel to use different ones from the 16 channels the modified default would bring in.

I also always rename each output channel to something short that goes with the associated instrument, (and this is the same work doing it with your modified default output section or by my use of the batch function to automatically set up the output channels for each loaded instrument), so if a loaded instrument is called Bob's New York Grand Piano With Overtones, the batch function would have pretty much named its output channel some crazy mashed up attempt at it - like squishing it all together - I would manually rename that output channel as simply: Piano, etc. for the others (maybe Organ, Strings, Brass, Rhodes, Bass, whatever).

SO - it has always been that there is some sort of naming and/or presentation issue resulting from my use of the Batch Function to wipe out the existing output section channels and set up 1 channel for each loaded instrument, and THIS is why I have always limited the number of loaded instruments in a single Kontakt instance to 5 or 6.  I truly wish the approach I use didn't start messing up the list of available Kontakt output channels in assigning a Cakewalk audio track's input.  I don't know if it is an issue within Kontakt, or with Cakewalk somehow getting confused.

IF I didn't have the issues with the goofed up list of audio track input sources when using my approach, it does work faster, but if I want to load more than 5-6 instruments into a given Kontakt instance, I will have to use the method you outlined.

In any case - I did NOT mean to skew this thread so far off base - it started with my simply offering up a couple of tips that I found work well with using Kontakt, and I apologize profusely.  To ANYONE contemplating upgrading to Kontakt 6, or buying into it without an upgrade price - Kontakt is quite simply, in my opinion, THE best sample engine on the market - it IS my go to instrument plugin, and despite the now rather lengthy discussion about setting up multiple instruments in a Kontakt instance, I HIGHLY recommend folks buy and use Kontakt.  It is amazing, in its massive number of available libraries, its included libraries, and its functionality.

Bob Bone

Bob,

I think we agree. Everybody should use Kontakt, or any music software, in a way that works with the music they make and the way they like to make it.  Some people find templates with 1000+ instruments to be useful; others don't.  

To get back on topic about the merits of buying full Kontakt, I have always told people that the world of Kontakt virtual instruments is like entering an immense store.
The Kontakt Player instruments are in the "Best Seller" racks when you walk in.  A relatively small amount of products are available here.  

Everything else in the store requires full Kontakt.  This includes a lot of the very best instruments that are available for sale, as well as scores of instruments that are available for free or for a few dollars. 

Once you get Full Kontakt, it opens up an amazing world, especially if you don't have any more money left to buy instruments.  Get Full Kontakt and you can make any kind of music you want without spending an additional dime.  Get Full Kontakt and you will be able to explore new kinds of music you never knew you'd be interested in.

The only limits are your hard drive space and the time you spend finding these instruments.

Man I am having a tough choice on this.  I have Halion 6 already and I'm tempted to pick up Kontakt as well because of the expandability and the availbility of free libraries.  But then I'm thinking that I probably have everything I really need as far as instruments in what's included with Halion 6, and can layer and tweak as necessary.  WHY IS IT SO TEMPTING????

On 6/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, Robert Bone said:

Hey Bob, I stumbled upon this tonight and got lucky that the guy spent time trying to figure out Kontakt 5's internal routing (he is using Studio One). It is at the 10:14ish mark in this video and is essentially that Kontakt 5 will do 5 stereo outs (10 channels), then a big number of monos. If you try inserting mono outs on the first 10 channels (the 5 stereos), they show up as L or R. Similarly, stereos on the mono outs get separated.

Not sure how applicable this is to Kontakt 6 yet, but using 6, I am already discovering a few weird things (no clue if they occur in 5 full, since I just got 6). Setups are more convoluted than they should be IMO, and not sure yet if I am seeing a host issue, Kontakt issue, or instrument issue... but too burned out for the night to really care at this point.  I am debating pushing the envelope on single K6 instances and only looking at the multi-out option if I hit a wall.

• Like 1

This is going to cost me many a Beer O'Clock, but I bought the upgrade to Kontakt full yesterday. I just couldn't resist (or actually afford) it any longer, so I hope I won't be disappointed. Downloaded overnight, so it's ready to play with now.  Perhaps I'll finally get some proper choirs now 😎

All the best.

• Like 1