Tranzport weirdness in Cakewalk by Bandlab

Hey all! I know we have lots of Frontier Design Tranzport users here so I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issue I am with my trusty Tranzport.

So I started notice that when Cakewalk is not in focus that my Tranzport will just freeze the display at the point that Cakewalk goes out of focus.  Noticed after several times heading to the booth to lay down a bunch of percussion parts that the Tranzport display was stuck.  The Tranzport still controls Cakewalk, but the display is frozen.  First I started deleting it and adding it back in the ACT menu which made it work again, but it kept happening.  Then, I noticed that sometimes it started working on it’s own again.  

So before heading to the booth I always mute the control room via the Focusrite mix control software so as not to have any bleed.  Clicking outside of Cakewalk (mix control, task bar, second monitor) is causing the Tranzport display to freeze. Clicking in Cakewalk  restores the display.

Anyone else seeing this?

I’m Win 10 

I had already uninstalled and reinstalled before figuring out what was going on which sucked because it had to be installed via program compatibility helper set to Win 7.  

I double checked in Sonar X1 and Sonar Platinum and it worked regardless of the focus as expected.

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!! 😁

I can check in my system what happens with my Tranzport, but in my setup this is the only control surface that I have.

So, to "replicate" the problem I should maybe start a different program (like notepad) while sonar is running and see if the display is showing correctly?

Bye,

Giorgio

• Thanks 1

Ok, I tested and I found that in Cakewalk Bandlab if the application doesn't have the focus (if you "see" another program) the display does not follow the song in the display (the bars should go on, but becomes "freezed"). Then, you press ALT+TAB and you go back to Cakewalk Bandlab and the display immediately runs as expected.

So, I tried the same thing using Sonar Platinum and this problem is not present.

Should someone inform the bakers for a correction for the future?

Should I do this?

Bye, Giorgio

• Thanks 1

The problem is not exclusive to Tranzport... It also happens to my other control surfaces that able to "listen" to feedback. If CbB lost focus, the control surface stop "listening" to Cakewalk.

I tried drawing simple volume envelope on track, and play. My Peavey SudioMix's motorized fader will respond to that volume change when CbB is in focus. Once CbB lost focus, the StudioMix motorized fader stop responding to CbB.  CbB stil play normaly, but the volume envelope doesn't move the motorized fader.

This is not the case with Splat, and I don't remember if the recent CbB update has caused this.

• Thanks 1

Hi James, I didn't test what you're saying, but I thought exactly the same.

It seems that Cakewalk Bandlab, when does not have the focus, does receive but does NOT send the messages (via midi) to control sufaces.

Let's hope that the bakers could reproduce and fix the problem.

Bye,

Giorgio