Markers Delete Button

sjoens

11 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

You can click on a marker in the timeline and then press the delete button or in the markers view you can delete them real easy.

@Chuck E Baby

While your statement is true. that method may not be intuitive, obvious or fit into the workflow of a user.

It's not unusual to have three or more ways to perform a task .  If a user  uses the Marker module then adding a delete button to the Marker module makes sense.   Shouldn't the Marker module accommodate common tasks?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fogle622 said:

If a user  uses the Marker module then adding a delete button to the Marker module makes sense.   Shouldn't the Marker module accommodate common tasks?

You seriously believe deleting markers is a common task ?.

This action is performed how many times during a project ? If someone is having to delete markers 100's times per project, wouldn't it make sense to use the view that specializes in removing markers (the markers view) ?

Adding more buttons to modules means larger module sizes, which in turn means less space in the control bar. That's something im not willing to bargain with.

This is the normal size of the Markers module

Markers-Module.jpg

Where is this "extra button" supposed to fit ?

As I said before, larger modules means less space in the control bar and we are already having to hide modules in order to see our "most used modules". Im all for improvements but taking away real estate is important to me, especially when there are multiple other ways to accomplish this task.

Implementation details would be up to Noel and crew. There are large format modules with smaller buttons. Could stack 1/2 size navigation buttons (like RTZ/Go to End buttons in the transport module) to make room for full size delete or overload the add button, left click to add, right click to delete or right click the menu for delete.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

You seriously believe deleting markers is a common task ?.

This action is performed how many times during a project ? If someone is having to delete markers 100's times per project, wouldn't it make sense to use the view that specializes in removing markers (the markers view) ?

Adding more buttons to modules means larger module sizes, which in turn means less space in the control bar. That's something im not willing to bargain with.

@Chuck E Baby,

I agree "common task" was a poor choice of words.  Manage markers would likely be a better way to state it.

On the other hand your response makes a good case for having a marker delete button in the Marker module.    I find it more difficult to remember how to perform a task I rarely perform than task I frequently perform.  While you may not notice the delete button whenever you don't need it, you will immediately notice the button is missing when you want to delete a marker, don't immediately remember how to delete a marker and there is no delete button.

The three buttons across the top of the Markers module are "previous", "next" and "add".  The "add" button has a "+" (plus or add) symbol in the bottom right area of the button.  Divide the bottom half of the button into two, equal halves and place a "-" (minus) symbol on the bottom left area of the button and you have a multi-function button with easily identifiable functions.

I've got to admit, I seldom disagree with your thoughts but in this case I do.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by fogle622
Trim unused space.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fogle622 said:

Divide the bottom half of the button into two, equal halves and place a "-" (minus) symbol on the bottom left area of the button and you have a multi-function button with easily identifiable functions.

That's a pretty good idea (plus/minus in one button).

I can respect what your saying and after your last post I can even understand why you feel the need for a delete button. Kind of makes sense.

This is a good example of how we each work in different ways and might not always see one another's point of view because of our work flow.

10 hours ago, fogle622 said:

I've got to admit, I seldom disagree with your thoughts but in this case I do.

That's perfectly find my friend :) Good people always find a way to discuss things and still respect one another's opinions. Even if I don't agree with you, I still respect where your coming from.

• Like 2