How long have you been playing the guitar?

TheSteven

I started learning lap steel guitar when I was 8 years old. Had to walk about 3 miles to a scout hall where the classes were held. The class was contracted for 83 lessons over 3 years. In all that time I only learned Aloha Oe and the Bonanza theme. When I was 12 I started playing trombone in high school.  And everything else I could get my hands on like sax, guitar acoustic and electric.

Its all history. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:44 AM, TheSteven said:

HowLongHaveYouBeenPlayingTheGuitar.jpg

Interestingly, those are two of my passions.......I'm a jack of all trades, master on none. :(

Clint Martin on the other hand, is very good at both. Haven't seem him around here.

I started in 1964 but after blisters and no one that could show me anything I put it away

uxsxlwiwvrwnbpvspuue.jpg

I moved to California in late 65' and picked it up again. I learned some basics and Chuck Berry boogie rhythms but didn't play all that much

I think late summer of 67'  I was leaning against a car in my front yard listening to the radio and heard the most amazing songs ever for the first time and my life changed forever. I'd never heard anything like it and from that point on all I've wanted is to learn all I can about making music with a guitar. It was Jimi Hendtrix Are you experienced. It wasn't even released yet I don't think.

I struggled with that Silvertone till I could buy a better one. After working at Jewell Paula Record company thru the summer of the next year I bought an American Standard Stratocaster and a Fender Princeton amp. Thus in 1967 it began

Edited by bayoubill

I started playing the guitar when I was around twelve. It was my mother’s old acoustic, dating back from when she was a member of the Salvation Army. But those steel strings really hurt my soft and tender fingers, so I stopped playing the guitar a few days later.

And the rest, as they say, is blistery.

I started on drums at 10 with lessons. I learned to count and read rhythms from sheet music which has been immensely helpful to me.

I tried bass in middle school. Couldn't keep my spot in the band.

Switched to guitar in 1988 when i went to the University of South Carolina.

I've had one since.

Edited by Gswitz

Since 1967. All 3 of my older brothers played and each one taught the next one how to play.
It started with my oldest brother Carl getting a Trutone electric for Christmas in, oh, '65 I think. Bought at Western Auto.
I started when my next-older brother Mike started teaching me bass lines he could play along to. By then we had the Trutone and a Framus.

I was born a poor white child

and you know  what that means

my pops was a farmer at heart

but my mother burned her bra

dad was cool with that

because she could get jiggety

so it was the city for us

striving for the middle class

dam was it a row to hoe

but what did I know, prepubescent and all

my first guitar I bought from my Sis, who was really a bro

I gived her $50, for a Hohner HG 90

still have it I do

I tried the piano because my mother wanted to be a nun

but practice was out of the question

I am glad she was not a nun, my mother that is, cause can't say if I would be here today

so anyway

I am an amalgam

How often should I change my strings?

I started at school about 11 and by 13 was playing in a punk band, that band was so much fun there was no way I was not going to play, then at 17 it morphed into a heavy metal band which became quite serious, if you didn't learn the new songs, you were abducted and "tortured" by the other band members and road crew. There were various punishments, that motivated us all to learn new songs quickly! Then in my mid 20's, I joined/created various weird bands and also then moved on to Cabaret and Jazz in my 30's, then mainly acoustic guitar in romantic Jazz style, worked up and down the east coast of Australia doing that for 5 years.

I worked out a style which was a combination of finger picking, strumming and chord plucking that meant I could do a jazz style of just about any song on the acoustic guitar with vocals and maintain the dynamics and intensity of the song.

I bought my first guitar at 17 from my 'best' friend and paid $25.
I found out later that he had found it in a trash can while walking with another friend.  He didn't like the original look and  tried to refinish it.  At some point he must have realized that his refinishing skills were on par with his guitar playing skills and then sold it to me.
It was a horrible instrument - crooked neck & the bridge was a piece of slotted wood; but it was mine.
That junky guitar started my on a journey that continues to this day...