VST Synth Settings Problems

28 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

maybe it's time cakewalk dropped bitbridge? seems to just cause confusion and issues these days...

I'm on the fence with this one.

As long as the plugin is written well, BitBridge seems to work ok. All the old 32 bit Cakewalk plugins work fine for example.

BitBridge is a pretty dumb wrapper, whereas the developer of JBridge has gone out his way to provide options to workaround a variety of common issues.

The main problem is that the 32 bit plugins people are using it with are either badly written (esp. ones using very early versions of SynthEdit) or they've not been re-compiled or tested since they first came out on Windows XP. I bet a bunch of them use various GUI hacks or workarounds to improve performance, or assume the plugin has complete access to every part of your system, which now no longer work in newer OS's.

• 1 year later...

I have seen this with the Roland Cloud, but it is intermittent (usually the Jupiter 8 and SH101), but if you save the preset into the synth itself, it gets around it (or freeze the track and then only unfreeze when you wish to edit)

Vastly more annoying however is the latest version of Cakewalk and Korg synths. I have a Micro-X, Volca Keys and Prophecy. On start/stop (and this is with filters and not chasing events set), it is sending messages to ALL MIDI ports (even ones that are not active in the track) I verified this with a loopback in to MIDI-OX. What this means is that the Volca in many tracks if specific CC's, NRPN's etc are persent, will just NULL and make no sound nor pass through any MIDI (yes Bizarre!)

I tried event filters in the tracks (they don't actually filter properly), settings in prefs, nothing gets around this

Is there a way to force Cakewalk to ONLY send all notes off, and reset all controllers (nothing else) on start/stop?

Korg's MIDI implementation leaves a lot to be desired (The Micro-X is a headache too, and the VST editor doesn't work well at all), but if I can't get this resolved, I'll have to jump to Cubase

For the record, I have used Cakewalk for about 20+ years, and worked for Yamaha's R&D for over 16 years

TIA for any help