Bandlab Technologies Reorganized

Jim Fogle

Not sure why you'd post this or where we're supposed to go with it? It's old news now. I mean, it was almost 5 months ago this was announced.

Is it 'corporate speak' for CbB will now be a legacy product and we'll need to visit the CaS (Caldecott App Store) for further upgrades in the future?

I dunno. Honestly don't care one way or the other anymore.

But it is entertaining to watch from a distance to see how they'll squirm out of the free promise. I stand by my opinion that it's just a matter of time before that goes the way of the Dodo. @craigb ... I said Dodo.

3 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

November 30, 2021 Bandlab Technologies became part of the Caldecott Music Group.

Caldecott Music Group has three divisions; Digital, Manufacturing plus Retail and Media.  The Digital division, Bandlab Technologies, is composed of Bandlab, Cakewalk and ReverbNation. 

Actually, BandLab Technologies formed Caldecott as a new company brand. Similar to the way Facebook formed  Meta, or Google formed Alphabet. It was not "acquired".

"With a history of growing a broad range of music-focused businesses, BandLab Technologies announces an organisational transformation with the introduction of new company brand, Caldecott Music Group (CMG). CMG will oversee the long-term planning, investment, and development of three newly-formed divisions: BandLab Technologies, Vista Musical Instruments, and NME Networks."

The topic title "BandLab Technologies Reorganized" is correct. Just clarifying the details with the company released statement.

Plus there is also this related statement:

"Digital division BandLab Technologies will double down on designing and developing innovative tools and services for the next generation of music creators, with a vision for a future where there are no boundaries to making and sharing music. The group unites digital audio workstation Cakewalk, and flagship social music creation platform BandLab, which hosts a user base of 40 million creators globally and the recently announced acquisition of artist services platform ReverbNation."

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shane_B. You correctly noted this is 5 month "old" news.  However, I did not see the news mentioned in the forum. I believe a corporate reorganization is worth mentioning when the reorganization involves the company that owns Cakewalk and this forum.

Regarding where to go with it, my thought was some forum members may not be aware of the change.  Once they become aware they may decide to click on the links i provided to find out more.  It appears @abacab did just that where he discovered additional information to post and offer for discussion.

I discovered the reorganization by accident.  Some of the links at the top of each forum webpage have changed.

I have no idea how the reorganization will affect Cakewalk down the line.  I don't envision Cakewalk becoming a retail product once more.  My guess is long term we will see closer integration between Cakewalk, some Bandlab services like online mastering and ReverbNation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

Regarding where to go with it, my thought was some forum members may not be aware of the change.  Once they become aware they may decide to click on the links i provided to find out more.  It appears @abacab did just that where he discovered additional information to post and offer for discussion.

I clicked on the link too, now, and several times a long time ago. It was the typical say a lot of nothing type stuff when buyouts like this happen. I thought we had talked about this before that's why I was shocked to see it again but I must be wrong. No harm in talking about it again though either. I still stand by my thoughts on it. And it still doesn't matter what myself or anyone thinks because they're going to do what they are going to do no matter what they say now and we have 0% input in it.

It sure is a good DAW and if they ever do start to charge for it again it's worth it, now. It wasn't when they were charging for it, in my opinion.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, craigb said:

Hmm...  If an organization gets reorganized, is it still an organization? 🤔

Reorganization usually joins multiple interests together.

The question I am asking is who does it benefit the most? or is everyone benefited equally?

This would probably tie in the with motive. WHY was it done? The only thing I can see from the limited view on my end is consolidation since no new services have been announced to the consumer. Consolidation means better industry control. 

Everywhere you look this is happening in all types of other industries.Industry control means market control. Monopoly might be too strong a word but it's close.

If someone could control a whole industry, there would be no competition. If you want an example of this look at gas prices right now.

9 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Reorganization usually joins multiple interests together.

The question I am asking is who does it benefit the most? or is everyone benefited equally?

This would probably tie in the with motive. WHY was it done? The only thing I can see from the limited view on my end is consolidation since no new services have been announced to the consumer. Consolidation means better industry control. 

Everywhere you look this is happening in all types of other industries.Industry control means market control. Monopoly might be too strong a word but it's close.

If someone could control a whole industry, there would be no competition. If you want an example of this look at gas prices right now.

I think the reorganization has more to do with providing guidance of how potential future acquisitions will fit in the mix.   Now they can ask the question which division does this potential company most closely match.

All acquisitions so far are music related  but there are so many there is not a lot of synergy.  Grouping them into three divisions should make it a little easier for communication within each division.

• Like 1

I suspect that as long as Meng is calling the shots at BandLab, Cakewalk will stay in the portfolio as a prestige freebie for them. Nothing is forever, though, as anyone who shelled out for the SPLat lifetime license can tell you.

These days, Cakewalk's moved into "this program having a free license feels like cheating" territory. I can even understand those who still fret, 4 years on, that Cakewalk will turn into payware again. It just seems too good to be true. As did free parking after I lived in San Francisco a few years. "How can they maintain an acre of just empty flat asphalt??" In S.F it would have sprouted condos overnight.

It's funny to remember that Cakewalk by BandLab has been Cakewalk by BandLab long enough for plenty of its users (and DAW users in general) to never have even heard of SONAR. 4 years is still a long time in computer years. It's funny to think that people could have started using Cakewalk by BandLab as high school freshmen and now be in college.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:32 AM, Starship Krupa said:

I suspect that as long as Meng is calling the shots at BandLab, Cakewalk will stay in the portfolio as a prestige freebie for them. Nothing is forever, though, as anyone who shelled out for the SPLat lifetime license can tell you.

The one commitment made by Meng as he acquired the rights to the Cakewalk software was that the Cakewalk DAW would be free for as long as it exists. That would preclude it from ever reverting to a payware model.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 2:29 PM, Shane_B. said:

I clicked on the link too, now, and several times a long time ago. It was the typical say a lot of nothing type stuff when buyouts like this happen.

It's not a buyout, rather an internal reorg.

Edited by abacab