some blues for Ukraine

bats brew

As always I look forward to your tunes. Weirdly enough a lot of the chord progresion is exactly like a song I never finished years ago. Same tempo too. I just listened to it yesterday digging through my projects for ideas to work on. I used this big fat analog synth probably a P Floyd influence. 

Typing as I listen here.. You are the master of the Wha. Mines gathering dust and I cheat and use a Mutron.. 

Loved that ending... 

19 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

I thought you lived in N.O. you're in SLC now?  This is outstanding.  Always an experience listening to your music.  This kind of had a RUSH vibe (to me).

hi david!!

i grew up in NOLA as a kid, but have lived in slc for 22 years now.

rush, would def be an influence in the long run, but locked in with covid was the influence on this one! heheh

On 3/15/2022 at 3:28 PM, John Vere said:

As always I look forward to your tunes. Weirdly enough a lot of the chord progresion is exactly like a song I never finished years ago. Same tempo too. I just listened to it yesterday digging through my projects for ideas to work on. I used this big fat analog synth probably a P Floyd influence. 

Typing as I listen here.. You are the master of the Wha. Mines gathering dust and I cheat and use a Mutron.. 

Loved that ending... 

thanks so much john,

i'm glad you enjoy my stuff.

i'm sure i've stolen more than half my ideas from bits and pieces of stuff i've heard over my entire life...

sit com theme songs, dittys in the elevator, stuff i'm more familiar with, i can avoid (i'm not going to write another stairway to heaven!) LOL

the Wah pedal, was my very first effects unit.

i used to play along with all of 'electric ladyland' and tried to copy every hendrix wah riff i could....

so yea, wah's my thing, but i'm keen to not over use it.

the ending,

used a lovely little plugin that i just dig completely, it's the Valhalla Super Massive. great free plug. all of valhalla's stuff is really good.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:18 PM, Eric Parsons said:

Really, really nice!   

thank you eric!

On 3/16/2022 at 6:49 AM, Wookiee said:

Classic Bats, slick guitar and mix, nice Bats as ever nice.

hey wookiee, this was a real cool experience tracking this one...

using a new effects device, is always fun, especially if you find something cool you were not looking for!

6 hours ago, batsbrew said:

so yea, wah's my thing, but i'm keen to not over use it.

I know that feeling all to well when I always want to pan my 2 rythym guitars hard left and right! I'm going to be different on the next song and see I I can only have 1 rythym guitar part! I don't think YOU would ever be accused of overduing the Wha padal. 

On 3/16/2022 at 8:32 AM, mark skinner said:

Love the power in this one. A Lot of things going on with the harmony leads , but everything is nice and grounded. Fantastic playing !        mark

hi mark! thank you for listening to this one in particular,

it's an important piece for me.

yea, lots going on, but i tried to mix it more like a soundtrack..

so things come and go into focus, without being too obvious.

tho i work in studio one now, once upon a time, i was a pure SONAR user... made it up to version 6, and held onto that well into the x1 period...

i was building a DAW right when sonar went T!TS up~!~

what timing....

without any other options at the time, i turned to studio one, just because it seemed the closest in my work style to sonar.

so, pretty much every move i learned, about mixing in the box, came from this forum, and from SONAR as a DAW...

and i still feel like a member here, so i post here, in hopes that anyone who is into mixing (everybody here) might learn something, or ask something, or enjoy something.

this one's no different,

and the fact that you can hear the grounding of the parts, in spite of business in places, is one of the things i learned here at this forum, about panning, verb, depth, and height, and i'm glad you did hear those things, they were the hardest things to attain in this mix.

Edited by batsbrew
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 11:27 AM, Bajan Blue said:

A great track, exceptionally well played

Really enjoyed the listen

Cool stuff

Nigel

hi Nigel!

thanks for listening,

i know from listening to your stuff, you are a stickler for both sounds and arrangements, 

this was my attempt at trying to nail both, plus it was an inspired performance on my part, i was really feeling it!

i used my good ole usacg strat for this one:

fullside2.jpg

On 3/17/2022 at 3:28 PM, John Vere said:

I know that feeling all to well when I always want to pan my 2 rythym guitars hard left and right! I'm going to be different on the next song and see I I can only have 1 rythym guitar part! I don't think YOU would ever be accused of overduing the Wha padal. 

john,

i like hard panning, 

if the parts are either dead on, or completely sympatico.

but yea, sometimes panning inwards makes more sense.

or, taking a stereo track, and slightly panning it out of center as well.

you weight one side or the other with it. works great.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, jwnicholson78 said:

Very well done.  Guitar sounds outstanding, and the composition is great!

I'd love to hear some organ in there, too, but that's just me :)

Jeff

HI JEFF!

thanks for the comments,

tho i don't think any organ is going to make it into the mix here....

On 3/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, John Vere said:

I found this stereo widening plug in I think it’s Blue Tube and must have come with Sonar. I’ve been getting a nice headphone spread with that. 

occasionally i'll try a stereo widening plug, i have waves S1, and it works quite well...

but usually , by the end of the mix session, i'll take it back off, and 9 times out of 10, i'll leave it off.

it seems to mess with the proper imaging of everything else...and i've had too many folks complain about super wide imaging in headphones, and you typically wont hear it anyway in a proper playback system, unless you're standing dead center of a triangle setup.