Feature req: Ability to rename MIDI CC in automation envelopes and PRV

GreenLight

When using many MIDI CC envelopes it can sometimes be difficult to tell them apart.

It would be nice if custom names could be assigned to MIDI CC envelopes, see suggested screenshot #2.

Thanks for a great product!

1 MIDI CC current.png

2 MIDI CC with custom name.png

Edited by GreenLight
Better topic name
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:12 AM, Promidi said:

This can be done globally. Under "Controller names", "Standard" in Define instruments and Names, you can customise the list as shown below.

It would be nice if this can be done per VST synth, however.

Thanks for the great tip, Promidi!

I know there is a MIDI CC standard, but the parameters a MIDI CC controls are often unique per project anyway, at least for me. Any given parameter on any given VST synth could be MIDI learned to (almost) any MIDI CC number, so pre-defining global parameter names is not really feasible.

Assigning a name to an envelope would probably be most convenient when creating the envelope. :)

• Great Idea 1

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@GreenLight - why not just rename your automation lane?

image.thumb.png.8006f298bae5d5413ce5be3f54805948.png

Thanks for the tip @msmcleod that's something I had never realized/considered! 😀

It would be awesome though to be able to rename the "mouseover name" of MIDI CC's, since I rarely expand the automation lanes... I usually edit them in the main track using the Edit Filter. And it would also take effect in the menu:

image.png.4f0f35dd2f0136fa0f2c2f50d6a3020f.png

But still a great tip, thanks! 👍

Edited by GreenLight
Added image
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 7:35 PM, GreenLight said:

Could you guys please consider this? 😃

It would be so nice to be able to set custom names for the CC:s in the PRV below:

image.png.0fa5fac8106bae9c1cc237f872019257.png

Keep up the great work! ❤️

The whole controllers pane would benefit from a slight overhaul. It's got huge potential but it's still too clunky to work with at the current stage. For example when I'm doing a Hammond organ track, there will be often 20-30+ controllers working hard at the same time! I encounter some troubles in doing even basic things like selecting and moving quickly around small parts of different controller events separately (chunk of events of one controller, then another and so on). Something like time selection but for just a single controller lane is missing or if I'm missing it, please let me know. Also I still couldn't figure out how to simply and quickly select all events at once from just a single controller line, without fiddling heavily with the cursor which is nearly impossible especially if there's both data at zero and max in it, or reaching for 'select by filter' menus. Double clicking on the empty space in the corresponding controller lane would have been very handy or at least adding a context menu.

Another thing I noticed is that once the controller data amount in the project crosses some critical mass the cpu will start getting punished unreasonably high when doing the edits. I first noticed it years ago in Sonar Platinum and have changed PCs to more powerful since but the issue still exists just less noticeably.

If you would like to ask me why I'm still getting bothered with CC events instead of MIDI envelopes the answer is that I still don't trust them much enough as I think they still need more debugging. Oh not even mention how the transform tool, ctrl/shift modifiers and interpolation would be missing! :) 

Edited by chris.r