Single Step EventList?

RobertWS

From the EventList section of the help:

To play events step by step

1. Using the keyboard, hold the CTRL and ALT keys and press the SPACEBAR to play the currently highlighted
event. If the event is a note event, it plays until you release the SPACEBAR.

I can't get this to work.  Is it broken or am I missing something?

Maybe a focus issue, try clicking in the Event List before stepping with CTRL+ALT SPACEBAR (works the same in X3 and Platinum).

BTW, don't know about others but I like to see a link to the source when quoting something like the help. In this case, I found the quote in the OP here

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scook said:

Maybe a focus issue, try clicking in the Event List before stepping with CTRL+ALT SPACEBAR (works the same in X3 and Platinum).

BTW, don't know about others but I like to see a link to the source when quoting something like the help. In this case, I found the quote in the OP here

Yeah, I did all that....click in several areas of the Event List.   I even tried the ALT and CTRL keys on the right side of the keyboard and changing the sequence in which they are pressed.

May be project specific. Consider supplying the project and the steps used to support@cakewalk.com

I just tested with

• a new project
  • TTS-1 added as an instrument track
  • Copied a MIDI clip into the track
  • Opened the Event List view
  • Clicked on the first event in the Event List view
  • Then stepped through with CTRL+ALT SPACEBAR

Did not matter if left or right CTRL+ALT was used

On 6/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, chris.r said:

in former sonars it used to be ctrl+spacebar iirc (...), since platinum couldn't get it to work either

just came back to confirm it working in Sonar as expected, it must have been the change in the key combination over from old sonars to recent has caused the trouble in my case

Edited by chris.r

btw. is this key combination editable? how to find it in shortcuts? it was much, much quicker to use only ctrl+spacebar if someone prefer to do it with only one hand and keep the other on the mouse, otherwise best way is to use both hands but that's a bit workflow counter-intuitive

thx

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Fred Kells said:

Does anyone know what this function is called in the Keyboard Shortcuts menu?

Tried to search for it but failed :( Anyone?

If I want to change the shortcuts to:

Alt+Spacebar = stop with Now marker

Ctrl+Spacebar = play events step by step

Ctrl+Alt (or something else)+Spacebar = preview arrangement

Is that possible to change in cakewalk shortcuts? How?

Edited by chris.r

Cntrl+Space = Stop with now marker

Alt+Space = Preview arrangement

These are default

As for the OP, Cntrl+Alt+ Space doesn't seem to be assigned to anything by default and I don't see anything regarding play events in the Event List area of the Shortcut Preferences. 

There is step advance in the Step Record area. Perhaps that would work?

There is also Shift+Space =Audition which plays whatever is currently selected in the Event List or any other view.

Edited by Base 57
spelling error

Well, I've been experimenting with this.

With the Event List open and the first note in the list selected, Holding Cntrl+Alt and pressing Space repeatedly scrolls down the list of notes; playing each of them once. So for me,  it appears to be working as described in the document that @scook linked above.

23 minutes ago, scook said:

It's a very old view and the keyboard shortcut may be hard-coded. This could explain why the function and binding do not appear in preferences.

That makes a sense.

About Ctrl+spacebar and alt+spacebar, do you think, if I assign them to other functions, am I risking any conflict in Cakewalk? My goal is:

Alt+Spacebar = stop with Now marker

Ctrl+Spacebar = play events step by step

Ctrl+Alt (or something else)+Spacebar = preview arrangement

Edited by chris.r

I don't use the Event List view very often.

Custom bindings may be undone so there is no harm in trying. but one can only bind functions that are exposed unless using an external utility to capture and remap keystrokes.

Custom bindings, you mean the ones done in preferences>keybindings?

After I saw that Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar binding is not availabe I thought that the other spacebar bindings aren't as well, but I just checked again and all the other spacebar bindings are available in preferences, so I may give them a try.

I start thinking that this Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar one is simply overlooked, it used to be Ctrl+Spacebar back in the X1 days. Perhaps worth of reporting.

Edited by chris.r