Antisocial Media- Scandalous Grace

michaelhanson

Here is a new rock song written by Sean and performed by the band, Scandalous Grace.  I have done the mixing production work on this song.  Let us know what you think, all comments are welcome.

Performed by Scandalous Grace 
Words & Mu­sic: Sean Peifer
Sean Peifer: Lead Vox, Electric Guitar, main Guitar Solo.
Michael Hanson: Bass, Electric Rhythm, Intro Guitar Solo, BGV, Mixing/mastering.
Reece Bain: Keys and BGVs.

Hey John- Thanks for the listen.  If others feel like the mix is too bright, we will certainly reconsider making some changes to the instrumentation.  Sean is VERY sensitive to high frequencies and is usually the one to complain with in our group about harshness or extreme highs.  We consulted each other at our band site and he is not hearing any issues at the moment.  I do appreciate the listen and bringing it to our attention.

Tom- Thanks again for listening to another one of our tunes.  You may have a point on the drums.  I remember thinking something similar a few weeks ago when I started mixing this one.   I am sure we will discuss that as a band and make changes if we feel it is needed.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,  

Reece is finishing up the Mastering on our next iTunes CD and this is the last song to go on the album.  I believed Sean is going to tweak the drum tracks once more, based on the suggestions made on these forums.

Does anyone hear anything else in this mix that might need a little caressing yet?  All feedback is welcome.  We are attempting to make this 3rd album our most polished yet.   

On 5/31/2019 at 11:36 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Vocals are amazing! Maybe a few more fills in the drum programming?

Cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom, for the listen and the comment. 

Though I am a vocalist, I've never been a drummer. I'm going to try to add some fills and we'll update the mix soon. 

- Sean

I thought this song was very good ...Nice powerful vocals with loads of expressiveness in the vocal delivery .

Over here as I listen it's 2 am so I am listening to your track at low volume to medium volume conversation levels ...

I may revisit the song during a time of the day when I can turn it up a little ...

Overall what ever harshness I may have heard was during the early stages of the song ...the guitars were a little top heavy and thin .

After about the halfway point the guitars sounded very good to me ...Yeah the guitars tone had more meat on the bone erm I mean fret board . ,

Good gtr solo's w a nice melodic expressive tone ..

Good job ,

all the best,

Kenny

I don't know if you made any adjustments to the song, but I think it's alright. Like Wookiee says, it has a raw feel about it that I like. Nice solo too. On my first listen, I wasn't getting it. Not really understanding the title.

The more I listened I was drawn in by the vocals. Which on the second and third listen I grew to really like it.

Lyrics are really good. I like the subject and the views expressed in them. There is a soul on the other side of that image!!

Really good job.

Edited by Grem

On 6/20/2019 at 6:37 AM, Wookiee said:

There is a tad of harshness to the top end of this on the Adam's other than that it has that slightly raw/live feel of a lot of your stuff.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the listen Wookiee.  I believe Sean is going to do some additional programming to his drum track.  I'll go back into the mix once I get those changes and work the high end a tad, see if I can find the source of that harsh tone your hearing.  

Kenny- Thank you for listening and commenting.  Sean always sounds awesome on vocals.  I am continually amazed by his talent.   The guitars on this song kind of flow from low gain bluesy to hard rock; back and forth between verse and chorus.  That was a deliberate feel that Sean was looking for.   Thin could very well be my Strat at low gain.  I was playing mainly the bridge pick up, I believe.   The Solo in the beginning is my Strat, the main Solo in the middle is definitely Sean...also greatly talented on guitar.  

On 6/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, Grem said:

On my first listen, I wasn't getting it. Not really understanding the title.

The more I listened I was drawn in by the vocals. Which on the second and third listen I grew to really like it.

Lyrics are really good. I like the subject and the views expressed in them. There is a soul on the other side of that image!!

Really good job.

Grem-  Thanks for listening.  Yup, my first reaction as well, upon hearing the demo's from Sean.  It took a second listen to kind of home in on what he was saying.  Then it really became clear how clever the lyrics are and how current this has become to today's social networks.  I think we have ALL experienced the "Antisocialness" of social networks.   As a group, and what we represent, we have even had internal talks about how hard it is sometimes to bite your tongue and stay out of the mud.  

Sean had considered passing on this song and waiting for a future CD release.  I am glad this song is going to be featured on our upcoming CD.  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:26 AM, daryl1968 said:

great topic - excellent lyrics and performed very well.

The snare is a bit thin for my taste - I don't think the mix is toppy as such, I found myself focusing on the snare...

Thanks for the listen Daryl!  Our musical ambitions were recently interrupted with both Sean and myself taking Summer vacations.   Reece may be about to take one as well, I can't remember.  The plan is for Sean to rework the drums as soon as he catches up.  I believe he has just returned and is now looking for time between job and family.  We will try to thicken that snare up on the next pass.  

• Like 1

Cool song gentlemen.  Having just listened to this the first time the new drums have been added and they sound good to me.  Love the lyrics and the vocals are very well done; however, my ancient old ears do find them just a tad too bright.  That observation might be due to the fact that as I have accumulated years, everything on the low end has become more muted and the high end has become more dominant.  True to my nature, I believe that is just the opposite as to what is supposed to happen.  The over performance and mix sound good to me and I think that you have done yourself proud.

• Like 1