TH3 Cabinet IR not working?

Neil

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to to Cakewalk and DAWs in general. Ive been playing guitar VERY off and on for about 25 years. I never got into recording until now and Ive been at it a few weeks now so admittedly I'm not super familiar with everything yet Ive been able to get sound from my guitar to cakewalk (that took a lot of noodling and googling lol) and Ive since gotten myself setup with MT Powerdrums with all the buses and outputs. So I dont feel like im completely inept but I'm sure theres plenty that I'm overlooking.:)

Onto my problem. I recently found out about guitar impulse responses and the loaders needed to use them. As I understand it in Cakewalk, TH3 you can use the Cabinet IR to load your IR and then like magic you have a list of killer tones to choose from and they come out sounding amazing. Well I cant get them to play. They appear to load just fine. I can locate them. Load them up (I even hear a "click" type sound when they load. Not sure if thats good or bad or expected) and then I just get my normal guitar tone.

I have also downloaded other IR loaders like Poulin Lecab 2 and I get the same thing.

I otherwise have no problem getting sound from TH3 fx.

For the TH3 Cabinet IR I drag the cabinet to the empty space, double click to bring up the options, select the IR. I dont know if I need an amp along side or anything else but Ive tried dragging one in and it still didnt work.

For Poulin LeCab2 Ive tried just the plugin itself, adding it to the Fx rack. I select my IR, it clicks, then nothing but normal guitar tone. I've downloaded amps as well and placed them before and after Lecab2 in the fx rack with no change.

So I'm at a loss and unfortunately I'm not finding a whole lot on youtube or google when it comes to this problem in Cakewalk.  Any help at all would be wonderful. Thanks.

Here is the thing about most Overload products that have an IR player like TH3. The IR files must be imported into the plug-in's database before they show up. This is different than most other products that simply load IR files directly from the HD.

Double-click the IR Cabinet then click the "Import New IR" button to add IRs to the TH3 IR database

599tTo5.png

The process is described on page 22 of the TH3 manual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It does alter signal somewhat, not unlike the other cabinets bundled with the plug-in and different IRs do sound different. At least that is my experience stepping through the IRs bundled with the plug-in. But don't expect all that much. I doubt it will ever be the case that dropping a single IR into a plug-in is ever going to deliver killer tones by itself.

In articles i read it seems they record the guitar first and use cabinet and ir afterwards as an effect.

Is that how it's done?

I'm curious about this since i'm heading this way in the future.

• 3 weeks later...