When To Freeze Or Apply Effects?

DallasSteve

I have a vocal track that is using the OVox Audio FX.  I hear some crackling during playback and I want to see if freezing the track or applying the effect will eliminate that.  I have frozen tracks before and I understand you would probably wait until work on the track is complete to freeze it because if you need to do more work you will need to unfreeze it first. 

Is there a difference between freezing a track and applying effects? 

When is the best time to take that step? 

Is it important to freeze an audio track before doing the final mix or will it mix the same frozen or unfrozen?

3 minutes ago, DallasSteve said:

Is there a difference between freezing a track and applying effects? 

Applying the effect is permanent, it can't be undone once you save and close the project.
Freezing can be undone with no permanent alteration to the audio.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DallasSteve said:

...  I have frozen tracks before and I understand you would probably wait until work on the track is complete to freeze it because if you need to do more work you will need to unfreeze it first...

When is the best time to take that step?

Hi DallasSteve,

I guess it depends on your system's resources.  If you are taxing your PC hard then freezing may let off some demands, which is the purpose of freezing.  So, you may or may not need to freeze any tracks.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 1

Another none destructive method would be to export the track using “ track “ and make sure the effects box is checked. Then drag it back to the project in a new track. That will be like a bounce and the effects will be mixed with the vocal.  Mute the original. 
But that said most computers can handle effects with out issue. You just need to increase your buffer until the crackles stop. That should be no more than at 512. If it still crackles then personally I’d not use that effect. Waves plug ins seem to be an issue in Cakewalk 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1