Audio Engine Dropout code not found in documentation

LittleStudios

It might not be the issue, but sometimes when my windows update itself silently in the background (depending on the update) it resets some of my audio settings in windows. I always turn off every other Audio driver that might have been installed by other programs. I remember trying out Sound Grid from Waves and it replaced my Driver settings. This caused a lot of dropouts cause I had both Focusrite drivers and Soundgrid as default drivers. Luckily, I was aware of this. Some video programs install their drivers too. 

So, try going into your windows audio settings and disabling any drivers that might be visible, and only leave your interface drivers as the default. 

Make sure that your sample rates in windows and the Daw are the same as well. If you use 96khz in CbB and 48Khz in windows or Visa Versa - you'll run some issues. 

I can't remember the last time I had any dropouts. My knowledge on Cakewalk goes very deep, but dropout codes - I have no idea what they mean, cause I never get them. I only leave one audio driver enabled on my system. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

@LittleStudios you are using the "aggressive" thread scheduling model. The error code 19 means "Multiprocessing the audio tasks timed out waiting for completion".
This is likely some corner case with your project that is leading to this. "aggressive" mode is not heavily tested so I suggest switching back to the default thread scheduling model. This is completely unrelated to the current update btw.

Thanks, Noel!  Another question, as a test, last night I increased my buffer size to see if that would help.  Could this issue also be caused by using a buffer size that was too small for my system and my current project?

Edited by LittleStudios
Added a question

Quite possibly.  There is little to no downside to just keeping larger buffers in place, with the exception of when you play virtual instruments. Mine are set to 2048 samples and almost never changed.

The only time I reduce them is when I'm playing a VI in real time, and that's usually only when I've acquired a new Kontakt library and want to explore it. Most of the time, large-buffer latency isn't an issue because I'm listening to outboard hardware while recording MIDI. Once the MIDI has been recorded, I route it to a virtual instrument.

7 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

Thanks, Noel!  Another question, as a test, last night I increased my buffer size to see if that would help.  Could this issue also be caused by using a buffer size that was too small for my system and my current project?

Doubtful. It could be a general hang in the system or even a bug. Hard to say without the ability to reproduce it. Is it happening consistently with your project? However smaller buffer sizes can expose certain bugs or race conditions more readily so its a possibility that you may not run into it at a larger buffer size.
In any case there is a simple resolution to switch to the default scheduling model.

@Noel Borthwick I've switched to the default scheduling model, no crashing.

@bitflipper I agree with you. I've only had my MOTU interface for maybe 5 months.  Typically I use larger buffer sizes, but I've just left the default buffer sizes.  Most of my mixing projects have been smaller, except for this latest project I'm working on, which is substantially larger.  I have a decent machine, which can usually handle anything I throw at it.  I guess there's always an exception.  I've gone into my settings and bumped up the buffers, giving the CPU a chance to breathe.

Thanks guys!