Major Z

mark skinner

Hello to all. Here's a new one , and an instrumental for now .. I think I've got the basic tracks down . I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement.   I made some volume changes on the guitars in this mix .   I have now added a mandolin track and a short cello section after the intro. I traded an early verse for an extended fade and am happy with the mix for now.   Thanks for your time and input.      Time to start a new one.       mark 

https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/major-z?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing                       

Edited by mark skinner
Remix
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

still in the early stages

So I'll hold the "like".

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

any suggestions for improvement

If it remains an instrumental maybe I'd pull the lead "voice" up in spots; maybe.
Without the vocal, its hard to say.
Its "grooving" for sure, the foundation is laid.

t

• Like 2

The lead at 1:11 sounds ok for level to me, it's the Knopfler'esque guitar work that precedes and follows it that I would say could do with a slight lift.

Minor crit though - great groove. Good luck with the old dentistry.

Andy

Hi Mark

I think Andy has it exactly - the Knopfler like electric in the right channel which counterbalances the Acoustic in the left channel.

The Acoustic cuts through and the electric seems a little in the background.

Hope that Helps.

Dentist today ☹️ Hope that goes well my friend

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions. I made some minor volume changes on the guitars and organ. I'm not sure if I've made enough difference yet ..  I'm Really missing the main melody line of the not included vocals. I think I'm going to try and cover it with a cello. It's suppose to be the instrument closest to a human voice.  Might work , might not..  May take awhile. The link now reflects the changes.    Thank You for listening and responding ..               mark           

Edited by mark skinner

Another cool track, I like the groove and of course your playing is great. I think the recording and mix sound good. My only suggestion would be a break where it slows to half speed or a different groove to break it up.

• Like 1

nice and funky!

dig the guitar fills...

drums are smooth and well tamed.

this would totally work with a vocal treatment, without changing a thing instrumentally,

you'd have to find a good jazz style singer and just cut em loose on it,

if you wanted to discover another version.

i like kurt s's suggestion. that would lift it one more level.

• Like 2

Hi Mark . . . sounding great, the mix has evolved since I last tuned in. Such an amazing up tempo piece . . . your guitar playing here really shines, as always, acoustics, electrics, slides, groovy bass.

If you're inclined to make it a song (with singing and lyrics) there's tons of melodies that come to my mind in the opening and middle sections . . . and right now sounds like the singer would just bow out when the electric guitar solo comes along. There's not really a traditional chorus so far, but it's only 3:20, so possibilities.

Oh yeah, the Wookiee thinks the vocals would spoil the magic, but I can't recall him singing anywhere on this site, but I may be wrong ? :)

Anyways, as it is . . . it's a super chillaxing listen, if you go cello instead of vocals, you'll make it work . . . I just think there's always another jazz vocal standard in the making, lurking here, but might just be me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, noynekker said:

Oh yeah, the Wookiee thinks the vocals would spoil the magic, but I can't recall him singing anywhere on this site, but I may be wrong ? :)

This is not quite correct, but I tend not to sing as Wookiee singing is lethal to all none Wookiee life forms within a parsec or two of the offending Wookiee. 🤔😎

You may however wish to risk life and limb by listening to Watching the Black on my Soundcloud page.

Apologies Mark for the minor highjack. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, mark skinner said:

Hello to all. Here's a new one , and an instrumental for now .. I think I've got the basic tracks down . I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement.   I made some volume changes on the guitars in this mix .   I have now added a mandolin track and a short cello section after the intro. I traded an early verse for an extended fade and am happy with the mix for now.   Thanks for your time and input.      Time to start a new one.       mark 

tight, smooth, tasty, precise, well arranged, superbly played, great production and mix 👍🎸🎼🔊

• Like 1