Updated several utilities for CbB v2.0.10 2023-05-06

scook

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Re: LaunchPad: Do I need to uninstall unsupported versions, or can I just exclude them from being searched somehow? If so, is there a list of supported and unsupported versions? Thanks.

image.png.a5695fb23653faab53c296048a5be77f.png

Here is a copy of the Launchpad executable that silently skips unsupported versions of SONAR

Replace the "Cakewalk Launchpad.exe" from the zip with this one.

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Again, if you can tell me the name of the X3 Studio exe file, I can add it to the list of support versions of SONAR.

Edit: link to test version removed

Edited by scook
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scook said:

Thanks

Hopefully, I can get confirmation that the change I just made works because I would like to introduce both changes (silently skipping unsupported products and adding Studio support) in the next release.

It now runs!  TY!!

Edited by User 905133
to report that it now runs :-)

That is a puzzle.

I have Win10 home v1903 and do not have any problems with Windows Defender preventing any of my tools from running.

If you get any results, just let me know and I will make the needed changes.

For now, I am going to leave everything as is and remove the test version linked above.

Very impressive work on Launchpad, Steve. I'm sure in your situation in this Forum you find the multiple features very helpful. 

IN my situation I would assume I can just use the very basic features. I quite often need to open 32 bit Platinum 2016.08 to revisit old projects that use 32 bit plugins that won't load in 64 bit CbB. As far me opening older versions of CbB, I only do that if I have a problem with the current version and suspect a bug, like I did in the post your responded to. 

So in moving forward I'm wondering what my best approach is. Should I always open 32 bit Platinum from within Launchpad? AS you suggested I checked "Restore CW130auto.dll on exit". If I didn't open it within Launchpad, what kind of problems would I run into? Maybe not being able to load a plugin because of changes in the Shared Plugins folder?

When I installed 2019.11 Friday night, I wasn't aware of Launchpad or any of this, but I do still have the Shared Plugins folder intact from before Friday's install. Should I save that permanently? I tried opening 2019.09 from Launchpad and got the error message "no usable CW130auto.dll for this version. Or since this is so new should I not worry about 2019.09 and just open it using my desktop icon?

Next time I update to a new CbB, I'll use "quick copy" to make a copy of the Cakewalk Core folder and then proceed with the new update. And when I want to open a CbB that is later 2019.11, I assume I need to do it from Launchpad. Whereas any version from 2019.07 and earlier I can just click on my desktop shortcut and not worry with Launchpad. Is that right?

For Launchpad to work in my situation with future CbB updates, is this all I need to do?

Edited by gmp
clarity

Any version of SONAR may be run from inside or outside Launchpad at any time. 32bit/64bit it does not matter.

The tricky part is running versions of CbB older than the most recently installed version outside of Launchpad. Outside of Launchpad copies of CbB older than 2019-09 will work properly after 2019-09 (or newer) is installed. This is because up until CbB 2019-09 the program would run OK with newer versions of CW130Auto.dll. Changes were made to the dll which broke compatibility with older versions. To address this, starting with 2019-09 Launchpad keeps copies of the dll and insures CbB always uses the correct version.

Because you installed 2019-11 prior to running Launchpad, there is no 2019-09 version of CW130Auto.dll so, Launchpad will not use that version of CbB.

Will 2019-09 run from the command line...maybe. Is it safe? I don't know and that is why Launchpad throws an error. There may be problems with automation.

I like to make the Quick Copy right after a new version is installed. It is easier for me to remember to do it then rather than wait for the next update. But as long as the Quick Copy of the currently installed version is made some time prior to the next update, you will be OK.

25 minutes ago, scook said:

That is a puzzle.

I have Win10 home v1903 and do not have any problems with Windows Defender preventing any of my tools from running.

If you get any results, just let me know and I will make the needed changes.

For now, I am going to leave everything as is and remove the test version linked above.

Although Windows Defender was stopping it from running, once I looked at the file properties, I saw this:

image.png.dc896161f1c1c3ce5d3b36f44b9ed129.png

So, unblocking it there solved the Windows Defender problem.   I don't think its a problem with your files.

57 minutes ago, scook said:

Any version of SONAR may be run from inside or outside Launchpad at any time. 32bit/64bit it does not matter.

The tricky part is running versions of CbB older than the most recently installed version outside of Launchpad. Outside of Launchpad copies of CbB older than 2019-09 will work properly after 2019-09 (or newer) is installed. This is because up until CbB 2019-09 the program would run OK with newer versions of CW130Auto.dll. Changes were made to the dll which broke compatibility with older versions. To address this, starting with 2019-09 Launchpad keeps copies of the dll and insures CbB always uses the correct version.

Because you installed 2019-11 prior to running Launchpad, there is no 2019-09 version of CW130Auto.dll so, Launchpad will not use that version of CbB.

Will 2019-09 run from the command line...maybe. Is it safe? I don't know and that is why Launchpad throws an error. There may be problems with automation.

I like to make the Quick Copy right after a new version is installed. It is easier for me to remember to do it then rather than wait for the next update. But as long as the Quick Copy of the currently installed version is made some time prior to the next update, you will be OK.

I found cw130Auto.dll dated 10/11/19  on my backup HD. It resides in  C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities. Is that the only file that causes the problem? If so I'd assume I can temporarily move the current  cw130Auto.dll to a temp folder and then move the 10/11/19 cw130Auto.dll in it's place in that folder and then 2019.09 would run just fine. Right?

9 minutes ago, gmp said:

I found cw130Auto.dll dated 10/11/19  on my backup HD. It resides in  C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities. Is that the only file that causes the problem? If so I'd assume I can temporarily move the current  cw130Auto.dll to a temp folder and then move the 10/11/19 cw130Auto.dll in it's place in that folder and then 2019.09 would run just fine. Right?

Yes, that should work.

BTW, if you copy that file into the "Sub" folder where Lauchpad is installed and rename it CW130Auto-25.09.0.70.dll CbB 2019-09 should work in Launchpad too and you will not have to remember to manually deal with the dll ever again.

4 hours ago, scook said:

yes

So just for clarity. From now on I can use the desktop icons and not Launchpad for opening all old Platinum and all CbB from 2019.07 and earlier. For all CbB from 2019.09 I should use Launchpad to open them. And before installing each new CbB version I should use "quick copy" to save the current version and then install the newest version. Is this all correct?

• Like 1

SONAR - Yes, it may be from anywhere.

CbB - No, ALL versions except the most recently installed version should be run from Launchpad. This is due to enabling "Restore CW130Auto.dll on exit" in the Launchpad File menu and the way the dll must be handled to insure proper operation of CbB.

Make sure to run Quick Copy from Launchpad anytime prior to installing a newer release in order to have the older version available after running the installer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scook said:

@User 905133 is the test version running OK?

Yes!  I haven't done any complex tasks, just browsed which files show up via the different sources with several different versions I have installed (Sonar 3 Producer, 8.5 Producer, Cakewalk Core).  I could test some specific tasks if it would help. I assumed that if I got this far, the other functions should work. I don't have X1 Producer on this PC; not sure I can have both X3 Studio and X1 Producer.  (X1 Producer is on my XP SP3 PC--and still works!! Will the tool work under XP?

It is a 64bit application. I don't have an XP machine set up to test.

After giving this a little more thought today, I think the best approach is to allow the program to run skipping old copies of SONAR other than Producer and Platinum. Just like the version you are testing.

I will make the adjustments to the program and documentation and release a new version tomorrow.

Thanks again for testing.

26 minutes ago, scook said:

SONAR - Yes, it may be from anywhere.

CbB - No, ALL versions except the most recently installed version should be run from Launchpad.

Make sure to run Quick Copy from Launchpad anytime prior to installing a newer release in order to have the older version available after running the installer.

I understand why  I should use Launchpad with 2019.09 and any later versions, because of CW130auto.dll. And I see only 2 CW130auto.dll in the "sub" folder. So how is Launchpad handling 2019.07 and all earlier versions of CbB? It seems like it would need all those versions of CW130auto.dll in the sub folder also.

re: XP: not an issue for me; I was just wondering. Allowing the launcher to run by skipping older non-Producer SONAR variants sounds like a good plan. Glad I can now use it!

I ran some quick launches.  For the most part, programs seem to launch as expected (including appropriate warnings about files being made on newer versions, missing plug-ins, etc.).

Thanks for the launcher as well as your other tools!