Updated several utilities for CbB v2.0.10 2023-05-06

scook

This was a complete rewrite so I did expect some issues although a couple of these should have been caught before the initial release.

Thanks again.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Please feel free to post any other issues, requests or questions.

12 hours ago, Jim Hurley said:

I downloaded this and put it in 'C:\Program Files' as per the ReadMe.PDF

I encountered one error on install, and each tool generated an error on start and some on close.

Thanks for posting these @Jim Hurley. I had similar errors. Thanks to @scook for the quick turn around on the fixes.  The latest version installs properly on my PC now.  Thanks!!!

Edited by User 905133
to fix a typo

One thing I noticed is that in the tools editor, the CmdArgs does not appear to be used by Sound Forge.

Even manually setting CmdArgs in the registry or trying to mangle the ExePath to put in arguments does not work.

Or I am doing something wrong.

I was trying to pass /NOVSTGROVEL /NODXGROVEL to Sound Forge 15.

I think I tried to do this in prior versions to no avail as well.

It does work when launched from Shortcuts and things like that.

From what I can tell, it appears that Cakewalk is not sending CmdArgs.

The Tools Editor is adding  CmdArgs to the registry.

I can't recall ever having an occasion to validate whether the optional entries do anything at all. If the records are written to spec, what Cakewalk does with the data is out of my control.

The information about this process comes from a post @Noel Borthwick made in the old forum.

Direct links to the old forum don't seem to work any more but the direct link is http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/1850413. It now resolves to the OP.

Further down in the thread is Noel's post

This information is not published or supported so don't ask too many questions :)

External tool configuration info is stored under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu. 
There are three categories of tool types which are supported:
Generic - these are normal tools that are not project data context sensitive
WaveEditor - tools that operate on project data such as wave files
SysxEditor - Tools that edit sysex

Common tool arguments:

ExePath  - This is the fully qualified path to the tool executable. Type=String
MenuText - name of the tool as appears in menu Type=String
Type  - Tool type <Generic, WaveEditor, SysxEditor> Type=String
StatusBarText - [Optional] expanded text that appears on status bar when the tool is selected in menu Type=String
Modal  - [Optional] If the tool should open its window modally blocking access to SONAR while running <0/1> Type=DWORD
CmdArgs  - [Optional] command line arguments such as switches passed to the tool if any. Type=String
    The following special arguments are expanded:
     - /ParentWnd$ this is the window handle of the application frame
     - /VSTInventoryRegKey$ this is the key to the VST inventory

CurrentDirectory- [Optional] The current directory in which the tool should execute Type=String
HelpFilePath - [Optional] Path to the help file for the tool if any Type=String
HelpFileTopic - [Optional] help file topic ID. Topic ID to be loaded from help file Type=DWORD

Generic tool specific arguments:

Args  - [Optional] specific expanded line arguments when the generic tool Type=String
    works on the SONAR selection and takes a file name such as a wave file
    The following special arguments are expanded:
    $(FILE)  - the fully qualified file name of the wave from the selection
    $(FILEBASE) - the base file name of the wave from the selection

Generic tool example:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu\Plugin Manager]
"ExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Cakewalk\\Shared Utilities\\PluginManager.exe"
"MenuText"="Cakewalk Plug-in &Manager"
"StatusBarText"="Run Cakewalk Plug-in Manager"
"Type"="Generic"
"Modal"=dword:00000000
"CmdArgs"="/ParentWnd$ /VSTInventoryRegKey$"

WaveEditor tool specific arguments:

ShortFileName - <0/1> [Optional] Instructs tool to use short (8.3) file names for wave file argument. 
                           if the tool requires short file names on the command-line Type=DWORD
RegionFlag - <0/1> [Optional] Expands to pass "/REGION:<start>,<duration>" to the tool on the command-line. 
                    Some wave editors like SoundForge used to use this format where the region specifies the
                    start and end of the selection to be edited in samples Type=DWORD

post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - October 17, 09 4:06 AM

I did not ask any questions about the info provided just used it as the basis for capturing and writing the data to the registry.

Not sure if the feature is supported.

This would be a question for Noel and BandLab.

The CmdArgs registry string is used to specify the arguments to the external tool. Its definitely used in CbB and and its how we pass command line arguments to the Plugin Manager exe.  Note that this is only used for the generic tool type.

Look in the registry and you will see how Plugin Manager is set up. For plugin manager its set up like this:

CmdArgs  ---   "/ParentWnd$ /VSTInventoryRegKey$"

When Cakewalk launches plugin manager it expands the /ParentWnd$ variable to the window handle of Cakewalk and /VSTInventoryRegKey$ to the appropriate registry key.

Other flags present in CmdArgs are passed through unmodified to the external process. Its easy to test this. Make a batch file that echo's its arguments and set up a tool that executes the batch file.

Thanks

The confusing thing about the previous thread was the separation of Args a registry entry specifically mentioned for the Generic type and CmdArgs  which had no similar type restriction. I noticed the the plug-in manager example but did not read that as suggesting CmdArgs was exclusively for Generic type.

I will update the Tools Editor to restrict CmdArgs to the Generic type too.

Minor issue in VST Inventory - because the flags are Y/<blank>, you can't (or at least I can't work out how to!) seem to search for all non-VST3 plugins, say.  if the flags were Y/N, it would be trivial.

Yeah, I was trying to keep the table from being too busy but I will populate all cells now that columns may be hidden.

For now to retrieve all non-VST3 plug-ins search for *dll in the Filename column

I see the last minute addition of single key hot keys in VST Inventory is a problem too. They will be removed in the next release.

Thanks

I didn't actually want to find them, I just spotted the problem!

Oh, and table headings' fonts don't update if you change the font/size until you re-open the application (data rows do) - again, pretty minor.

Thanks again for the input

v2.0.5 released

Tools Editor CmdArgs now available for Generic type only

Table heading font size issue fixed

VST Inventory filter on empty value now possible with filter string set to nul, "" or ''

Fix bug on VST Inventory table refresh when escaping from filter

Updated help and pdf

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 3:27 AM, scook said:

The tools have been completely rewritten.  All have font support, light and dark styles. Upsample Editor now supports in table edits. VST Inventory has selectable columns.

Old Launchpad users make sure to copy "CbB Tools.exe" into the old Launchpad folder. Others may copy the "CbB Tools.exe" where ever they like such as "C:\Program Files\CbB Tools"

I will leave the old versions available as the new ones no longer support 32bit SONAR.

I added font size selection to a few of my CbB/SONAR utilities. There are updated versions of

• Launchpad - an alternative to the start screen
  • Plug-in Upsample Editor - a tool to manage upsample data in Aud.ini
  • Tools Editor - a program to manage the tools section of the Utility menu

available here along with a few other CbB/SONAR related things. The utilities are about half way down the page. As always, if there are questions or issues with anything on the page just let me know.

Enjoy

Edit: Launchpad v1.6 released 14 Aug 2019

Edit: Launchpad v1.7 released 24 Sep 2019

Edit: Launchpad v1.8 released 25 Sep 2019

Edit: Launchpad v1.9 released 2 Dec 2019

Edit: ToolsEditor v1.3 released 31 Dec 2019

Edit: Launchpad v1.10 released 12 May 2020

Edit: Launchpad v1.11 released 14 Aug 2020

Edit:  v2.0 of all tools released 18 Mar 2021

Edit: v2.0.1 through v2.0.4 released 19 Mar 2021 

Edit: v2.0.5 released 20 Mar 2021

Edit: v2.0.6-2.0.7 released 21 Mar 2021

Edit: v2.0.8 released 1 Apr 2021

Thanks for the update. BTW, an interesting date choice to release the update. Cheers. 

Yeah, I hope the date won't get in the way of Launchpad users (both of you :) ) grabbing the update.

It would have been easy enough to wait and release it later but the last few updates are important for keeping the DAW and automation dll in sync.

The original version made some assumptions of how the tool would be used. The recent changes to v2 attempt to address different workflows.

Need some clarification on Launchpad

I've had a problem with 2021.01 so I wanted to only use 2020.11. I can use launchpad to run 2020.11 and if I understand correctly the only thing Launchpad does it to place the correct CW130Auto.dll into this folder.

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\CW130Auto.dll

Is that correct? if so then once I'm 100% sure which CW130Auto.dll is correct for 2020.11, I can even manually place that file in that folder and as long as I only run 2020.11  from it's shortcut, I'll be fine. Yet if I try to run a different version  from it's shortcut without running launchpad then I'll be using the wrong CW130Auto.dll  Is that correct?

If all of this is correct then I could also run 2020.11 using launchpad and then the correct CW130Auto.dll would be in place and I could then run 2020.11 from it's shortcut and it would be fine as long as I didn't run any other version from it's shortcut only.

In order to keep multiple versions of Cakewalk installed and switch between them, I find the safest way is always run Cakewalk from Launchpad. 

If you want to use some other strategy for switching between versions of Cakewalk, that is up to you.

As has been mentioned before in this thread:

• Every release of Cakewalk.exe has an associated version of CW130Auto.dll in shared utilities.
  • Before CbB 2019.09, the dll was backward compatible with older releases of the program. This changed with 2019.09.
  • Starting with 2019.09 the Cakewalk.exe and CW130Auto.dll must have the same version number.

Beginning with CbB 2020.04 every new release has an associated rollback installer. For most, this is probably the best way to deal with problems encountered when running the current version. The rollback installers may be successively applied to access any release from 2020.11 to 2020.01.