I Keep a Little Light On

53mph

I originally released this as an instrumental a year or so ago, but I always had a vocal in mind for it. I've only recently got it to a point where I'm happy to let the world have a listen.

If anyone listens to Thurston Moore's acoustic offerings, you'll here his influence on me. I hope it's not too derivative though.

Any advice appreciated, Cheers

Here's the final cut, out now on streaming:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4KJSEpK8awp8GEy25XKOsE?si=fuTTTA1xSzu9uww-iZhmpQ&utm_source=copy-link

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - I'm up to version 8 of this mix.

I tried to take out a lot of the boominess and tweak some other issues.

It's not slickly perfect (but then neither am I)

Would you guys say it's sounding better or worse than the last version?

Philip this is a lovely piece, but I have a few concerns.
1) there are some nasty high pitched squeaks at 1:38 2:08 & 2:13 on the acoustic (maybe more).
Maybe you could de-es them, probably automate it some so it doesn't affect the entire track?
2) The finger snaps (I guess that's what they are) just don't seem on the same soundstage to me.
On my DT990's they just kind of "hang" out there; again to me...

I do think this last mix is the better mix.

t

• Thanks 1

Version 8 was a blow out. I can hear what @DeeringAmps means. So I went back to the source and tried to bring down the harshness and squeeks as much as possible. I also seperated a few of the sounds a bit more. The drums are a tad kickier, the claps are sidechained, and the bass has its own space now. I hope this has solved most of those issues (but I'm sure there will be others :) )

Edited by Philip G Hunt

No doubt the "squeaks" are much improved.
I went back to the first mix to be sure it was not at the expense of the "presence" on the guitar track; well done!
A suggestion, if I might. I've been using D'Addario Flat Tops on my acoustics for some time now.
They lack that new string "brightness"; meaning they sound a bit "played in".
But, boy do they reduce the "squeak"!
I did buy a few extra "G" strings though. I go them at least two to one between string changes.

t

One more suggestion, edit the title to reflect a new mix is up. When a thread is "starred", I generally don't re-visit it...

eft16.jpg.b107d5df73b119b8f9429e5a766506f2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another great song here Philip . . . once again, you've got that very smooth acoustic guitar pattern repeating in the tapestry of this one. Interesting choices, very different kick tone really works, and instead of a disturbing snare smack, you've got that subtle click or clap thing panned right through most of the song, I'm thinking a sidestick drum patch with lots of reverb might have worked better, but the way you've done it, it's very subtle, keeps the overall sound very gentle, so maybe you intended that.

Super cool song, I will listen to many more times.

• Thanks 1